First mule deer x 2

salmonchaser

Handloader
Dec 13, 2013
We have a couple of kids in camp on their first deer hunts accompanied by their dads. One who is a 15 year old young lady the other a 12 year old boy who thinks our cook is the coolest woman who ever lived. Sunday evening both kids shot their first deer. Hers, a spike, fell to a well placed shot from her 7/08; his a nice three point, fell to a 243.
I really enjoyed hunting with the kids, it was a fine day. I'll ad photos as soon as I talk to their dads.

It is always a great experience to hunt with kids. They are so eager and focused as a rule; and the excitement when they see their first big game animal is palpable. Good on you for being there on this hunt.

So glad you were able to have 2 kids in deer camp & have a successful hunt! I hope their Dads let you post a few photographs as it is nice to see their excitement!!
Thanks again for helping our young learn about the outdoors!!

Blessings,
Dan

This evening I was sitting on the tailgate of my truck about 500 yards behind Lexi's dad. We had him set up watching a series of trails that converged on a gravel bar. From there the deer will wade the river to come feed in the sorghum, corn and alfalfa. I couldn't see Jer but knew his location. Same spot Lexi shot her deer last evening. I could see deer then saw one fall before I heard the shot.
He had done such a good job with his daughter the first two days, he certainly deserved his buck, an interesting looking deer. Colored like our local white tails, mule deer ears and tail, left antler a single beam with eye guard and three points, right antler, also a three point was classic mule deer. Probably the best example of cross breeding I've seen.
All in all the first three days of deer season in Oregon has been fun.

Congratulations and thank you for mentoring the youth in your group. Have you thought of having them start a hunting journal? Just a series of short entries could be very interesting to them in later years.. I hope that you and your group are all blessed with great and successful hunts in the future.

Best Regards, Rol

An excellent idea. I have a very incomplete journal for both fishing and hunting going back nearly 50 years. On reading your comment I believe the emotion I feel is remorse, there have been so many unrecorded adventures. I'll mention it to the kids at breakfast, which is late today as all the tags we drew have been filled.

We see a surprising amount of cross-breeding between the whitetails and mule deer in our area. I'm told that these cross-breeds are sterile. Thus, it is beneficial to the herd to take them out. I can testify that they taste pretty good, regardless.

Well hopefully the photo downloaded this time.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1,078
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 1,078
Excellent! Always appreciate seeing happy children with game. They truly are the future of hunting.

Enjoyed reading your account. Those pics are just as good as it gets. Thanks for helping mentor them. CL

Back