First Mule Deer

efw":2t57uoce said:
I'd wanted to shoot my first mulie this year also but my innnwr Michigander had me popping a good sized whitetail when he jumped up instead.

:mrgreen: I know exactly what you mean !
Big whitetails elicit a triggered response both literally and figuratively.

gerry":6scmybvx said:
Kodiak":6scmybvx said:
Fresh butterflied tenderloin, ummm good!

I can hardly wait, I like to BBQ them, Montreal steak spice seasoning and rare. Tastes great, we usually have them with eggs for breakfast :)

Yeah BBQ! Being a Native Texan, that is always the "first way" we use to cook "anything" that even looks like meat! ha ( Well, when at Bible School in Tulsa, those Okies would BBQ a whole "log" of baloney (excuse me...."bologna", ha) Where I'm from we would put an armadillo on the pit long before baloney! :) I love mule deer, far better than whitetail that's been eating just acorns. Now, "any" deer that's been eating farmer dan's crops is dee lish! I'm glad you got one, and she is a big one! Funny, I thought BC had a lot of Blacktail as opposed to Muleys?

preacher":185vqmx7 said:
Where I'm from we would put an armadillo on the pit long before baloney! :) I love mule deer, far better than whitetail that's been eating just acorns. Now, "any" deer that's been eating farmer dan's crops is dee lish! I'm glad you got one, and she is a big one! Funny, I thought BC had a lot of Blacktail as opposed to Muleys?

Yeah, armadillo used to be on the menu during graduate school (studies on hemoglobin, you know) until we discovered it was the sole carrier of leprosy (other than humans). Haven't eaten an armadillo since. Consequently, barbequed bologna must be good. Dining at Bob's Barbeque in OKC during one of our infrequent trips into the USA, my wife and I ordered some of the most delicious ribs we ever ate. My son ordered--barbequed bologna? It must have been good; he didn't leave any on his plate. FYI, blacktail are along the coast; mule deer inland here in BC. No blacktail where I live, but I hunted blacktail when living in the Lower Mainland. (Barbequed baloney, indeed! Everybody knows it is to be fried!)

Ha! My dad "always" fried it too! He even liked Spam, but sliced thin and fried...he always said "if its brown, its cooking, if its black, its done"! :)

Congrats on your deer. I got my deer with a Sierra gameking hpbt too. First time using that model. They are very accurate, no exposed lead tip to damage, and I was impressed with how they performed on game. Mine was not my best shot, but the 165 gr Sierra did the job. Enjoy your venison.

The Sierra HPBT is an excellent bullet that performs exceptionally well in a variety of cartridges. It has never done me wrong.

Thanks for the kind wishes, I was happy to get her. The Sierra HPBT bullets seem to have a great reputation especially for a cup and core bullet, and are quite accurate too. I do hope the guys who mentioned they haven't bagged a mule deer yet earlier on the thread are able to seal the deal in the upcoming year.

On a side note some hunters might not get excited for shooting a doe but I still get excited still anytime I bag an animal. Hope that never changes.......

If you don't get excited then it's just killing. I get excited just seeing game animals even with out a rifle in my hands, But then I have respect for the animals the good lord put on this earth for us to harvest and enjoy seeing. I think your a lot like me and harvest game for food but you also respect it and are thankful for their existence. :)

gerry, I still get a thrill when harvesting a animal but at my age now I even get more excited when one of my hunting partner gets theirs especially my sons and nephews. It is my part of my heritage that I have seen being passed on (y).
I have considered it a real honour to have met and hunted with you, I have seen how much you consider it a privilege to be in God's great outdoors!

PS. Being a lefty and owning a Whelen is kinda special also :mrgreen:!

Blessings,
Dan

Back