First range trip with the ruger african 275 rigby.

SJB358":donid9ro said:
I think it’s probably just a rough edge on the bolt. Rugers are tough rifles but being cast they sometimes need a little smoothing so they aren’t scratching cases and like you saw, catching the casehead.

I’d not worry a bit about those loads.
Thanks man I was hoping that's what it was. I worked all the way up to 2700 fps yesterday, and still shot some factory loads. Not every case but most had some swipe on them. I may still drop down to the node at 2550 fps. Just seems like that bullet would perform great at that speed for still hunting. Or I may just keep it at 46 grains and 2600 fps like was in the groups I shot yesterday. I really cant make up my mind honestly, just so many decisions haha. Either way I have plenty of confidence in the rifle since its settling down and maintaining MOA or slightly over now.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Yeah, to be honest I’d be looking for the next higher node. I’d bet with a 24” barrel and H4350 you’re barely much per the 55k mark at 2700, and it looks like it has been super consistent with the third coming out of your groups I’d have to try shortening them a little more. Can’t ask for much more consistency thank you’ve been getting.

SJB358":9lbj70nl said:
Yeah, to be honest I’d be looking for the next higher node. I’d bet with a 24” barrel and H4350 you’re barely much per the 55k mark at 2700, and it looks like it has been super consistent with the third coming out of your groups I’d have to try shortening them a little more. Can’t ask for much more consistency thank you’ve been getting.
I'm fixing to load some more up today. Do you mean shorten the OAL as in more jump or work my way back to the rifling? Was gonna try some again at .020", .060" and .080". Also gonna load to the high node which is 47.6 at 2697 fps. I have not tested velocity above this node yet.

Cleveland48":3kns0vml said:
SJB358":3kns0vml said:
Looking pretty danged good buddy. That rifle is consistent!
Thanks man! Lim not sure what the deal is but I keep getting ejected swipes on the case head. Even with the anemic factory loads. Hoping that there is just a rough spot on the ejector slot. There is always brass shavings in the slot. Does anyone have any ideas?

I would say as others said it is a rough area on the bolt edge, or it could be a rough extractor claw, or it's a fairly sharp extractor claw.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

HAWKEYESATX":2lk9iwrg said:
Cleveland48":2lk9iwrg said:
SJB358":2lk9iwrg said:
Looking pretty danged good buddy. That rifle is consistent!
Thanks man! Lim not sure what the deal is but I keep getting ejected swipes on the case head. Even with the anemic factory loads. Hoping that there is just a rough spot on the ejector slot. There is always brass shavings in the slot. Does anyone have any ideas?

I would say as others said it is a rough area on the bolt edge, or it could be a rough extractor claw, or it's a fairly sharp extractor claw.

Thanks Hawkeye that was my initial thinking also. Maybe it will wear down pretty soon lol.

I had a Ruger M77 .338 Mag some years ago that had a shard extractor claw, and it shaved brass as well.

Cleveland48":138ax8aq said:
SJB358":138ax8aq said:
I'm fixing to load some more up today. Do you mean shorten the OAL as in more jump or work my way back to the rifling? Was gonna try some again at .020", .060" and .080". Also gonna load to the high node which is 47.6 at 2697 fps. I have not tested velocity above this node yet.

Yes sir, further from the lands. Maybe 1/2 as much, so maybe .005 at a time now since you’re so close.

That 2700 node sounds like a winner.

SJB358":bv8cbl2t said:
Cleveland48":bv8cbl2t said:
SJB358":bv8cbl2t said:

Yes sir, further from the lands. Maybe 1/2 as much, so maybe .005 at a time now since you’re so close.

That 2700 node sounds like a winner.
I'll work some up shorter and see where it goes. Hopefully get to try em out next weekend.

HAWKEYESATX":3maev7q6 said:
I had a Ruger M77 .338 Mag some years ago that had a shard extractor claw, and it shaved brass as well.

Did it eventually wear itself down after plenty of use.

Cleveland48":3s5tpk5w said:
HAWKEYESATX":3s5tpk5w said:

Yes, it did thankfully

HAWKEYESATX":2xzieyzw said:
Cleveland48":2xzieyzw said:
HAWKEYESATX":2xzieyzw said:

Yes, it did thankfully

Thanks that makes me feel better.

Back