First range trip with the ruger african 275 rigby.

All looking good. The 9.3X62 will deliver the goods on about anything you would ever need to hunt. The 275 Rigby (7X57) is just plain fun.

Thanks DrMike! I'm really enjoying the little 275.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

"I blame it for making me think every gun including hunting rifles should shoot sub 1/2" groups. Which I really need to get over and just except that any 1 1/2" - 2" gun will be fine for me, for all my deer shooting is 200 yards and under. Mostly 75 yards and under lol. It's just hard to get over those sub 1/2" groups lol."

I'm with you on that. I've mention my battle with a Ruger M77 RSI that took two years to find a decent 1.5" load that it would shoot on a consistent basis so I won't go into it again. but as good as that rifle was for deer hunting, even taking one out at 250 yards I figured any rifle that shot a consistent 1.5" or better was just fine with me. Most of my rifles do better than that and some very much better but now I just consider that icing on the cake. In case no one noticed, there are no bench rests out in the boonies. :lol:
Paul B.

PJGunner":4atdh4d4 said:
"I blame it for making me think every gun including hunting rifles should shoot sub 1/2" groups. Which I really need to get over and just except that any 1 1/2" - 2" gun will be fine for me, for all my deer shooting is 200 yards and under. Mostly 75 yards and under lol. It's just hard to get over those sub 1/2" groups lol."

I'm with you on that. I've mention my battle with a Ruger M77 RSI that took two years to find a decent 1.5" load that it would shoot on a consistent basis so I won't go into it again. but as good as that rifle was for deer hunting, even taking one out at 250 yards I figured any rifle that shot a consistent 1.5" or better was just fine with me. Most of my rifles do better than that and some very much better but now I just consider that icing on the cake. In case no one noticed, there are no bench rests out in the boonies. [emoji38]
Paul B.
You got that right. I'm just gonna enjoy it for how it feels and handles lol.

Well I went ahead and loaded up 5 different charge weights. I used H4350 this time instead of RL16. Seated the Hot Cors .020" off the lands. If I get off work in time tm I'll try to go check them out. Maybe a powder change might wake it up a little more.

I think that rifle is going to be great. I think you're onto something and until you get a 100 or better rounds through it, those barrels tend to like to be shot. You're getting good accuracy in my book. I think one of Nosler's best 7mm bullets is their 150 grain Ballistic Tip. If ANY 7 won't shoot that bullet well it usually has a bent barrel and on game it has no peer for anything elk and under.

Think I'm going to stick with the 46 grain load of H4350 for awhile. I believe there is something there worth checking out

16268faa35e3afb9935e59cdc13bbd9b.jpg

I’d agree with that. I’m wondering if shortening the OAL a little at a time won’t pull it together myself. It looks very consistent as is. I’d say you’ve got a good one.

Hopefully it is. I have 114 rounds through it now. After another 50-75 I'm gonna do a powder charge test, and then start messing with the seating depth. Luckily it's on a long action and I can touch the lands,and still feed from the magazine.

That’s a score. Really, with that set up, you don’t give up much to a 280 at all. Plus I really like when you have some flexibility with seating. Seems to make them shoot easier a lot faster.

Yes it's nice when you have plenty of length to start and the lands and work back.

Have to work until 10:30 tm so I have some more loaded with 46 grains of H4350. Some are .020" off the lands like the other day. Also have some
.040" and .060" off the lands to try.

That's pretty impressive groups!
You can take full advantage of the M77 MKII strength, and up the performance of the Ol' 7x57 quite a bit, and still have a mild kicking cartridge.
I'm thinking that once the barrel gets broken in, as other posters stated, that you'll have a super grouper as well!
Great find! Enjoy it! I know I would.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

Thanks! Hopefully so. Regardless it's a joy to carry, so it has a home no matter what lol.

So today I tried some more loads. Overall happy with the progress. Shot four 3 shot groups today, plus I did a velocity ladder. My charge of 46 grains was not in a node, but came in at 2600 fps and still shot good. I'm gonna drop the charge weight down to 45.2 grains for 2555 fps. My try some more seating depths, but I'm pretty happy with the .060" jump right now. All of these groups are with 46 grains of H4350
3f8fcce2ecd21ca6eb16b8fdc4201684.jpg
f357a4abeac4a9a30b3c6ed131e0febf.jpg

You have every right to be pleased with all those groups. Yes, the 0.060" group is especially pleasing.

DrMike":3bo5wjdf said:
You have every right to be pleased with all those groups. Yes, the 0.060" group is especially pleasing.
Thanks DrMike!

SJB358":2qpr23vr said:
Looking pretty danged good buddy. That rifle is consistent!
Thanks man! Lim not sure what the deal is but I keep getting ejected swipes on the case head. Even with the anemic factory loads. Hoping that there is just a rough spot on the ejector slot. There is always brass shavings in the slot. Does anyone have any ideas?

I think it’s probably just a rough edge on the bolt. Rugers are tough rifles but being cast they sometimes need a little smoothing so they aren’t scratching cases and like you saw, catching the casehead.

I’d not worry a bit about those loads.

Back