Flip up AR-15 sight, mag pul ?

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
Am shopping for a good flip up rear sight for the flat-top AR-15, something to use if the optics go down. While I was looking around I found what looked like a neat little sight from MagPul.

But... it's plastic! I don't recall ever having had a plastic sight before. Anyone use one of these before? Are they any good?

http://store.magpul.com/product/MAG248/44

If you can't endorse this one, which "BUIS" would you recommend? Our SWAT AR-15's use the Rock River flip up sight and it works out real well. I also recently set up an AR-15 for a friend, and it had the Spike's Tactical flip up sight on it. That sight worked out fine.

Thanks for the input. I guess the light weight, compact size, and low cost of the Mag Pul sight got me interested, but being made of plastic makes me wary.

On this rifle, I'd likely be using the optics 90% of the time.

Thanks, Guy

Guy, for regular folks use, the MagPul BUIS would probally be ok,
but for LE work I would look somewhere else for something that would stand-up to more agressive ( :roll: ) use!

I have them on my ARs, along with a red-dot, see-thru scope, they work fine, and are easy to zero.

Jim

Guy, I think we use a Troy on ours. Let me check, I might have an extra as well..

I was considering putting the Magpul's on my AR, after reading those test results I feel a lot better about using them now. Thanks guys

I also had a few reservations about the "plastic" BUIS from magpull but I got to tell you. They work great, are light and I haven't had any problems with them on my AR. Polymers are tougher than we give them credit for and a little flexability can help quite a bit in a hard contact situation, I think you would have to misuse one quite severely before you could break it.

I too had "reservations" about a plastic back-up sight but seeing as how 95% of what I do with an AR involves an EOTec I went ahead and put the Magpul on my personal AR.

Bear in mind my personal AR is just that, personal, and not for duty use. If I were going to use it for duty use I'd be inclined to go with a metal sight but for what I use the AR for, home defense, target shooting, training courses, and predator targets of opportunity, with no real expectation of a sustained firefight I have no issues with having it on my rifle.

I hope that helps.

I have a set of Midwest Industries also and really like them. Got them as a backup to my Aimpoint which should never need backing up?

Midwest Industries seem solid and affordable. I would not use the magpul, the ones I've seen used the 0-2 aperture instead of the standard aperture. I never found that aperture to be useful in any capacity and you wouldn't want to get stuck with less accuracy if your primary goes down.

Woodycreek":2ompxgtt said:
I have a set of Midwest Industries also and really like them. Got them as a backup to my Aimpoint which should never need backing up?

This is what we have run. Solid sights.

32FFDF22-88EE-4C78-8813-38FCF88758C4-5917-000006583DB47C62_zps49e2b750.jpg

1B700ADE-A8B1-4D36-8340-650C8334E2F7-5917-00000658461A9E31_zpsd4bf2f20.jpg

AB7D0588-FF77-4666-A200-285C80D46AD4-5917-00000658499C096B_zps984b3354.jpg

Back