GB300wm and His 338 Wby SS Vanguard

bullet

Handloader
Dec 26, 2007
This is for Scotty from GB300wm, His 338 wby ss vanguard, vias style brake and a B & C Medalist stock, 3.5 x 10 x 50 Zeiss conquest scope Z600 reticle and Timney trigger.

105_2295.jpg

105_2290.jpg

Very pretty, I like the composite stock, very clean lines, a hunting rifle I could love.

Jerry, that is even nicer than I imagined! It looks like a perfect elk rifle in any book! That stock is really nice and the scope looks perfect on there. That looks as good as it shoots.. Thanks for posting pictures of that. I am scared for you to throw up targets, I would be pretty envious and have to rework all my loads! Scotty

Thanks guys. It would really be an elk hammer. Maybe one day I'll be able to make an elk hunt. The vias style brake is nice. It has ports to channel blast and noise out the front of the rifle. :grin: :grin:

I know if I was in the market for another 338 Win Mag, it would be hard to look past the Vanguards! I think they are one of the best rifles around for the money, and yours has been customized exactly as I would want one also. I like brakes, they make it so you don't have to take a pounding the bigger 338's dish out and allow you to focus on shooting those little groups you are getting. Scotty

Slide1-1.jpg

DSC_0019.jpg

That's a nice looking Winchester. Is that your 338? You're right too about brakes. They do allow you to focus on the target without thinking about the pounding heading your way. If you're like me, I'll go through 25-40 rounds per range session. My 338 was giving me headaches and my groups were suffering the longer that I shot. I find the vias style brake not as loud because a lot of the blast and noise is pushed straight forward of the rifle. :grin: :grin:

That is my 338. I like it alot. I have had it for about 16 years or so now, and it is just a great shooting rifle. I finally found a scope I like on it and a few loads that shoot really well. A great all around rifle to have. Can't beat the 338's for most bigger than deer sized game. Scotty

beretz, I have that same rifle w/ boss. Only difference is mine is 7mm rem mag and a very accurate rifle. It's what I use most for deer and elk. If interested, boyds makes a grey laminate monte carlo stock for it and the best price I have found is directly from boyds.

Thanks for the tip Yote. If it gets another stock, it will probably be another synthetic. I love laminate stocks, but I don't like the extra weight. Plus, this is the rifle that will go to Alaska for big bears if I ever get the chance, and the plastic stock has already been there with my father and did a good job.

You are not kidding on the accuracy of the rifle, it is a tack driver for a 338. My best friend had the same rifle also, in a 7mm Rem Mag, but it was stolen out of his house. It was also a tack driver and very pleasant to shoot. Scotty

Scotty, really nice looking rifle, thanks for the pictures. :grin:

Scotty, I have a .30-06 Winchester made in 1997, which has the BOSS unit on it as well. USRAC only made that Winchester Boss rifle configuration for two years in 1996-98.

Thats funny about the 96 to 98 for the BOSS built M70's. I bought mine in 1995. The reason I know that is because I was in the Marine Corps in 1996. I used it a fare bit in 95 and early 96 (just before I went to boot camp) shooting woodchucks, and a few other animals. I still have a box of Winchester Supreme 230gr Failsafes for it also. I will probably ever shoot them, but they are neat to look at once in awhile.

My dad used it for an elk hunt, brown bear, and a whitetail in Canada. He actually put a 3.5x10-50mm Leupold on it and loved the rifle. I finally got it back a few years ago, he is done with his big hunting trips, so he didn't figure he would need it again. It has been a great rifle and has some good history to it. I hope to claim some animals with it in the future. It is a tack driver and with the new 2.5x8 with the B&C reticle it is easy to make solid hits out to 400, and probably further if I could find a proper range. Scotty

Back