GemPro 250 Digital Precision Scale

Desert Fox

Handloader
Aug 14, 2006
I admit I'm a gadget freak when it comes to shooting and reloading. I've always buy crap that I really don't have need for and they ended up taking space on my already crowded reloading bench. Enter the GemPro Digital scale. I bought it just for curiosity in order to find out how accurate my Lyman DPS II and the RCBS 1010 scale. Both scale, according to the manufacturer, is accurate to within +/- .1 grain. GemPro 250 on the other hand, being a jeweler scale, claim accuracy to within .02 grain. I want to try different types of powder to see if the grain size has direct bearing as to the accuracy of the scale or to put it the other way, how far off they are at the desired weight. I began by calibrating and zeroing all 3 scales first using the 20 grams (308.65 grains) weight that came with the GemPro.

Here's what I've got:

Lyman DPS

RCBS 1010

GemPro 250

I started by weighing Varget powder first since it has a shorter grain. I punched 35.7 grain (an arbitrary number) on the Lyman to dispense. I waited a few seconds at every drop to make sure the number stabilized. Anything above or below 35.7 grain is discarded.

Here's my result:

Lyman DPS II

GemPro 250

The GemPro measured as low as 35.70 up to as high as 35.78 out of ten drops. Next I change to IMR 7828 and the result were the same. The GemPro measured as low as 35.68 and as high as 35.78.

Conclusion:

Lyman's claim of accurate within .1 grain is spot on. As I've already known, the Lyman and RCBS 1010 scale complements each other as both were limited to .1 grain +/-.

What I found out also was, 1 kernel of IMR 7828 will measure .02 grain while it would take 2 kernel from Varget to register a change of .02.

At $165.00 retail, You'll have an accurate scale to complement your reloading bench.

GemPro uses True-Division German HBM Sensor ( what ever that is) unlike the strain gauge technology on the Lyman which can be affected by an RF or Magnetic interference. I know this for the fact because my Lyman go crazy every time I use my cell phone. Even just taking pictures last night, the Lyman was going nuts while the GemPro remain steady.

FYI, the GemPro will have its zero drift it you have a computer running nearby. It needs to be off (not just sleeping) to avoid this. This is even true if you put a filter on both the computer and the scale power cords. So, you can't be listening to your Pandora station, watching YouTube or visiting forums while reloading with the GemPro. :wink:

Otherwise the GemPro is a great unit.

Back