.1 vs .02 digital powder scales

kraky1":2ji61y6y said:
Teknys is dead on the nuts with his quick load predictions. While back a well respected guy over at a benchresters forum came up with exactly the same info for a 308. I have a scale that will do measurements to .02. Most stick powders windup being .02 grains per kernel. This guy came up with the conclusion that although these fancy scales can do those measurements each kernel of powder was worth 1 foot per second. Which is exactly what he had for his Creedmoor predictions.

I hardly see the point in chasing 1 fps consistency in powder charging when a half-grain difference in water capacity between cases will net you about 10 fps in variance---and I'd be surprised to see a variation in a lot of 20 cases less than 1 grain. Throw in neck tension variations, and the benefit of the *oh-so-exact* powder charge is lost. If you control these other two variables, then it may be worth it. Otherwise, it's a total waste of effort.

And...that is EXACTLY the truth! However I have to admit I'm a gadget man.... and without the scale I wouldn't know how accurate I am on my RCBS 10:10 or how good my Hornady auto dispenser is. between the trickler and the nice scale I've got less than $200 invested. I do have to say the other day I had 4 shots in a row that had exactly the same speed but that was probably the same day I should have bought a lottery ticket.... and apparently I wasn't on accuracy node ....my group was pretty averagely Accurate.

Interesting discussion guys... Strain vs. electromagnetic scales is covered off pretty well by this article: http://balance.balances.com/scales/1223

The OP doen't really spell out what long range shooting means, or for what purpose. This was my testing last week for a rifle used for mid-range f-class competitions (600 yards).
3 groups of 5 shots over a chronograph for an improved 6BR chambering, with all loads measured to .02 grains of Varget. Bullets were all weighed to be within .02 grains of each other (base to ogive as well), all cases weighed within .5 grains of each other and necks turned to .012 wall thickness (mention these details so you can realize what went into making each loaded round the same).
Results:
1 - average speed 2978; es 2fps
2 - average speed 2974; es 4fps
3 - average speed 2981; es 6fps
Buy a scale like the FX-120i if it is important to get that level of consistency. For my hunting loads, a Harrell's measure will throw loads close enough for me.

Back