Best Digital Powder Scale

IdahoSportsman

Beginner
Feb 17, 2016
Hey Guys,

I'm looking for a really good digital powder scale! I am currently using the balance weigh scale from RCBS, but was wondering if there was a digital scale out there that is better and more efficient?

I am measuring rifle powder charges!

Thanks for your help on this!

Ken (y)

The RCBS scale that is part of my Chargemaster unit is very quick to settle on a weight and accurate. It is easy to calibrate on each start up. I am very happy with it.

Rol_P":sb0zzlaj said:
The RCBS scale that is part of my Chargemaster unit is very quick to settle on a weight and accurate. It is easy to calibrate on each start up. I am very happy with it.

+1. After Rol_P demonstrated his to me I bought one and found it was a big improvement over my prior digital scale. Wished I had bought one sooner.

Dan

I use a myweigh 101 and double check it with cheap frankford arsenal that I tare often. Some times I have to tare the myweigh and sometimes it goes the whole batch without needing to be reset.

Could be the scale, the power strip or my magnetic personality.

Magnetic personality:). A number of years ago, 15 perhaps, I bought one from Dillon to go with my 550. I quit using it preferring my old RCBS balance beam scale for accuracy. Interested to see what current thoughts are on the subject.

Thanks for the input guys!

I'm gonna go ahead and buy the RCBS digital scale and try it out! I will report back with my experience!

Ken (y)

Google gempro 250. It's about $160 but is way more sensitive than the RCBS / Hornady units. I think it's American-made and has a lifetime guarantee.... it's sensitive enough to measure kernel X kernel.

If you don't want to spend that much money Google bald eagles scales.... they are about $90. Its super sensitive like the gempro. I have one and like it except you have to make sure you let it warm up before using it.

The reviews on the Gempro 250 at Brownel's average a 3 with 5 5's, one 3 and 5 1's. Looks to be a crap shoot to get a good one.

My friend semi-permanently loaned me his Lyman digital scale because he went with a fully automated tricker and didn't need it. I have been using it for a couple of years and it is fine. I prefer my beam RCBS to load with, but the digital scale is much better for weighing cases, bullets, etc.

Geez... on another Forum the guys brag these up like crazy. It seems like when you read the reviews the older ones are very good and the almost new reviews are quite bad...... sounds like gempro decided to start cutting Corners somehow....glad you found this Whitesheep! I found the same thing over at Amazon.....good old reviews....not good new ones.

I have both a Gempro 250 and a Sartorius scale. I find myself using the Sartorius more frequently, but the primary reason is that I like the larger numbers. The Gempro works well and gives me consistent readings. It is less prone to drift or interference with magnetic fields. I do take care to have them powered through shielded cables, etc. The electronic scales are tared more frequently than the older beam scales because of the tendency to drift. I keep a set of scale weights nearby to check the accuracy, as well.

I use the RCBS Chargemaster but I also check every 5th load on my beam scale to to confirm that it is the correct weight :wink:.

Blessings,
Dan

Fwiw... I checked the accuracy of my Hornady automatic dispenser and my 1010 RCBS balance beam scale against my electric scale that measures to .02 grains. I found my Hornady was accurate to .08 grains plus or minus.... and my technique on the 1010 was good to .04 plus or minus. If I remember right when I put those amounts on quick load for a 30 odd 6 casing the Hornady was good for plus or minus 4 feet per second and the balance beam plus or minus 2 feet per second......pretty trivial.

Do any of these electronic scales have temperature compensating circuts and physical over scale prevention? Constent current amps for the tranducer exitation voltage?

Beam scales are simple but technicaly still ahead of the cost effective electonic scales. Expensive laboritory electronic scales cost because thats what it takes for a well made electronic scale.

I have found that my Gempro is extremely sensitive to any other electronics running nearby. I often load with music or a video playing softly in the background, and the Chargemaster doesn't care if the computer 18 inches from it is doing anything or everything. The Gempro is 4 feet away but I have to turn the computer off (not just "sleep" mode) to keep it from drifting. This is despite having both the computer and the Gempro on line "cleaners" at the plug.

Just something to note if you want to try a Gempro, or have one that's giving you problems.

I only have used my digital scale for weighing cases to get the H2O capacity and today I thought I'd check my beam scale against my cheap Ballistics products digital. I only gave $29.95 for these on sale and they are made in china but have a life time guaranty and come with a 100g check weight and powder pan.
I put my 250gr check weight on them and they read 250grs so I was doing a ladder load test and checked my beam scale weights against the digital and I was with in a tenth of a grain so they were what I would call right on.
These scales use a AA battery and have a 3 min delay auto shut off and other features for different weight measurements.
I've had them about a year and though I don't use them everyday they are still on the original battery.
I had the Dillon case cleaner running on a different bench and the lighting above the bench is iridescent tube lights and they didn't have any effect on them.

Attachments

• KIMG0320 (2).jpg
    KIMG0320 (2).jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 2,454
  • KIMG0321 (2).jpg
    KIMG0321 (2).jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 2,454
Back