Gentlemen; I'd like to introduce Alice - She's naked

Good to hear that your house was spared. Odor can be problematic, but it doesn't make an ash of your things. Alice does appear to be producing some fine groups for you and showing what she is capable of producing.

Glad to hear that you and your family are OK. Our house was struck by lightning w/ subsequent fire, 10 years ago. Cant imagine what the waiting a worry are like for you and your neighbors. The rifle looks ready to go though. Very cool. CL

Yeah, fire season was something, wasn't it? I didn't work for almost two weeks. I was 'evacuated' for about the same amount of time. I drove home during the day and got a bunch of stuff done... I got probably 300 .45 ACPs, 500 9mm, and 450 .380s all ready to charge and seat bullets in. Wet tumbled just about all my empty rifle brass. Finally found my T7 after moving three times.

I just realized I'm only about 10 miles from you now!

Posted a picture in 2020 photos but thought I'd put one here as well. Alice punches hard; this bull went down fast. I was hoping for a bigger bull but on the first day my horse went down hard on the ice and my leg was underneath him and banged up my knee some. It affected my mobility and balance for the rest of the hunt. Fortunately. my shooting wasn't effected. I took this bull at 524yards, 20 degrees downhill, 13mph wind at 1/4 value. Drilled him in the top of the shoulder. My load was 85gr RL26 under a 265gr LRAB moving at 2930fps.

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_1336.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_1336.jpg
    562.9 KB · Views: 289
Very nice! That’s a great shot too!

That exact shot is why those big 30’s and 33’s really do give you some confidence on elk at those distances.

Not a bad bull for the Weneha, good shooting! Congratulations! How many points did you draw that with? I know a couple guys in our camp have 20 points now, still no big bull tag...Oregon is getting ridiculous anymore trying to draw tags.

remingtonman_25_06":3tejqrnm said:
Not a bad bull for the Weneha, good shooting! Congratulations! How many points did you draw that with? I know a couple guys in our camp have 20 points now, still no big bull tag...Oregon is getting ridiculous anymore trying to draw tags.

I drew it with 5 points! :wink:

Dang I was in Alaska when all this started glad you survived the fires. I live just a few miles from Tollgate, spend a lot of time up in there, WallaWalla and Wenaha. That’s a good bull for up in there, you wouldn’t want to pass him up too many times. Well done.
Took me 18 points to draw that tag five years ago, you are lucky.
Regarding the bigger bulls in those two units there are a couple of local guys, a couple of guys from Portland and an outfitter or two who spend all summer keeping track of the few bulls over 350. A couple of the guys have been on the upper edge of the point creep, one of the guys actually drew the WallaWalla hunt this year. Point being while there are a few 400 inches in there, there are not a lot. You did fine, I’d have taken him.
dd04048a9512177e5858c5851439aa80.jpg

40c676c3a05944f0545e7e7f7a6e59fc.jpg

28034d7d41e95de146401d34e2e70a7c.jpg

a305e7b8368c090cdf9ddd618587d8aa.jpg

61deeaf584aded1df09248631e87154e.jpg

These pics all came late in the season down country from where you were. A quick random sample but your bull would look nice in this group for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is some serious bull country for sure. I have hunted Mt. Emily quite a few times with Bill and man, the amount of great bulls in that unit is mind blowing. I once had a mind to save points and try to get in on them.. I decided I'd rather just hunt elk than get old waiting for a non res tag in any of those units.

Finally brought him home from the mammal mortician. Looks great in the Livingroom! 8' ceilings can be tough with a big elk but the taxidermist did great. I did the pedestal. It's a whiskey barrel that I got from Bull Run Distillery then burned the grain and stained it. My ex-wife saw it and hated it. It's perfect!

Attachments

• 2020 elk.jpg
    2020 elk.jpg
    754.5 KB · Views: 10
A grand reminder of a super hunt. You made a wise choice with the barrel as a stand,

Congrats! All around cool rifle, load and hunt...and a great tribute living in your livingroom to remind you of the whole adventure for years to come! Well done!

Beautiful mount Scott. The whiskey barrel is pretty cool.

JD338

Back