Gentlemen; I'd like to introduce Alice - She's naked

muleman

Handloader
May 12, 2009
Just picked this up from my gunsmith! 338x28Nosler, the chamber and magazine are set up to shoot an OAL of 3.6". Built on a Win 70 CRF 300Bee from the late 90's. 26" PacNor barrel in 1 in 9 twist #2.5 profile with one of Nathan's Beast brakes. It's bedded in an older M40 type McMillan stock that I had dipped in King's Mountain Shadow. I'm going to mount a Leupold VX6 3x18 in Talley lightweight one piece rings and Picatinny/Arca swiss plate to mount Bipod and tripod. She's got a long throat to seat the heavies and give a nice running start to the 265gr ABLRs. I have several pounds each of RL26, IMR7828ssc, Magpro and Norma MRP. Quickload says will be my best choices. Load work shall commence once I get her all dressed up. She weighs in at 8.5lbs naked. I'm expecting that she will shoot a country mile. I was thinking recoil would be fierce but my smith says the brake turns her into a pussycat. (Thanks Nathan). If all goes well in load development We'll be taking our honeymoon in the first week of November hunting 350" class bulls in the Weneha unit Of Oregon. More picts to follow as I get her dressed and ready to party.

Attachments

• q.jpg
    q.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 1,765
  • q1.jpg
    q1.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 1,751
Well, now, there's an introduction I can't resist! She does look like a beast that'll get the job done. Load development should be a lot of fun for you.

Wow, that is a cool build! Can’t wait to see what you come up with. Those big 338’s really rule the roost on the elk mountains.

Congrats on that tag. Should be an amazing hunt!

Wow congratulations on a fine build. Man that thing is a cannon! I can't wait to see how it shoots for you. I suspect quite well.

Well my goodness! Alice, get a scope on! :shock:

This looks like it's going to be one heck of a long range elk rifle. Think of it, you'll get your dope all the way out beyond 1,000 yards... You'll be walking to your observation point and bump into a great elk at 10 yards.

(y)

I'm looking forward to seeing the range reports and hopefully a successful field use of Alice.

Enjoy!

Guy

Guy Miner":xhe78oic said:
Think of it, you'll get your dope all the way out beyond 1,000 yards... You'll be walking to your observation point and bump into a great elk at 10 yards.

Boy, that’s the way I’d prefer it myself. I love to shoot long, but man I love the up close interactions with them.

Alice is one serious looking rifle. Not familiar with the caliber but a bullet that big on top of lots of powder is sure to get any elks attention. Good hunting. Dan.

Get yourself an elite iron Sierra supressor. I’ve got one in NFA purgatory as we speak for my 338 LM.

I used one on a 338 edge and was pleasantly surprised at how much it reduced muzzle blast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very nice rifle! And you are very lucky to draw that weneha big bull tag, how long did that take you? Roughly 20 years is my guess? There is some absolute monsters in there, I've seen a few in there. Probably the most coveted big bull tag in Oregon right now, plenty of 350"+ bulls to be had. Hope you can find one of them during the season. Good luck!

Nice!
Let me know how that VX6 tracks when you stretch her legs.

Very nice Muleman I am sure that she will do everything you want her to do and more.
I am looking forward to your load development with photos I hope :mrgreen:..

Blessings,
Dan
PS. Sorry Sir not only my hearing is going it looks like my eyes are getting weaker as well :oops:.

sask boy":3siyf3tn said:
Very nice Fotis I am sure that she will do everything you want her to do and more.
I am looking forward to your load development with photos I hope :mrgreen:..

Blessings,
Dan

She ain't mine LOL :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Guy Miner":23pm53of said:
Well my goodness! Alice, get a scope on! :shock:

This looks like it's going to be one heck of a long range elk rifle. Think of it, you'll get your dope all the way out beyond 1,000 yards... You'll be walking to your observation point and bump into a great elk at 10 yards.

(y)

I'm looking forward to seeing the range reports and hopefully a successful field use of Alice.

Enjoy!

Guy

That's why I usually zero a hunting rifle at 200 or 250yds and carry it set on the lowest power. I don't mind a close shot. They're a little more exciting!

2020 sucks!
I picked up my rifle and nothing has gone right since. Talley sent wrong rings(made it right but 10 days longer.) Then when I got them they wouldn't fit the scope even though I had the same scope mounted on my 28Nosler(same type action). Then the world burned and I'm on day five of our evacuation. Both the rifle ranges I belong to are closed and very near the fires. I've got all my guns out of the house and most of my hunting gear. I also pulled my single press and components for my two rifles that will go elk hunting but I have no place to shoot. My family is safe and my home is still standing; so I'm pretty lucky and blessed but man this year sucks!

Scott

Well the outlook is looking better these days. We were out of our house for a total of 10 days and had to spend several days cleaning up ash and smoke odors but we didn't lose the house! One gun range is still closed because it's on BLM ground and they haven't cleared it for access yet, We don't know if it survived. The second club is open again and I've been up there working on loads for Alice. At magazine length the 265gr ABLRs had .060" jump but it wasn't enough to make her sing. Backed them off to .1" and they started to hum pretty well. I tried RL26, MRP, 7828ssc and magpro. I think 7828 and RL26 will get me where I want to be, just going to fine tune some seating depth and start running her out to 600yds to verify drops. The 28 Nosler is playing second fiddle but I have every confidence in it if the 33x28 Nosler doesn't pan out. Here are some groups I shot today. I'll take some more photos of Alice now that I have her dressed up.

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_1276.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_1276.jpg
    231.1 KB · Views: 1,168
  • thumbnail_IMG_1306.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_1306.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 1,167
  • thumbnail_IMG_1305.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_1305.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 1,168
  • thumbnail_IMG_1304.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_1304.jpg