Getting into the 35 Whelen Game

Well the CVA is work in process I learned today. I shot a few groups with the 225gr BTs with RL12 and RL17. First I had to get the scope dialed in , then a few groups.
Best of the day was a mid charge of RL12
View attachment 17447
For some reason this barrel just wouldn’t cool down and it showed. I took 3 rifles with me today and rotated between them.
I shot a total of 5 groups with it and the last 3 had the first 2 shots within 1/2” and the 3rd about 1 1/2” lower left. It’s a good 2 shot rifle , but I guess for hunting the first shot matters the most.
The group posted is 55.5gr of RL12 , thats what I’ll work with this fall.
That looks like 3 deer in the truck to me. Dan.

Well the CVA is work in process I learned today. I shot a few groups with the 225gr BTs with RL12 and RL17. First I had to get the scope dialed in , then a few groups.
Best of the day was a mid charge of RL12
View attachment 17447
For some reason this barrel just wouldn’t cool down and it showed. I took 3 rifles with me today and rotated between them.
I shot a total of 5 groups with it and the last 3 had the first 2 shots within 1/2” and the 3rd about 1 1/2” lower left. It’s a good 2 shot rifle , but I guess for hunting the first shot matters the most.
The group posted is 55.5gr of RL12 , thats what I’ll work with this fall.
That looks like it will do just fine. I've never played with RL12, but it looks like it's giving proper accuracy, and as you said, it's the first shot that counts. Also, if it makes you feel any better, I frequently have a 3rd shot flier with my 700 Classic, and yes, it is frustrating to deal with.

Well yes and no. CVA rifle with a Bergara made barrel.
No RL15 here , I still have plenty of RL12 to use up before I crack open a keg of Varget. I do have a dusting of W748 left , but my next move will be RL17. The throat seems long on this rifle so seating longer will give some room for RL17.
I am waiting for a little cooler weather to see how accuracy is on RL12 first.
I've never found RL12 up here, but I always thought it would be useful. I did have RL15 in good supply, however.

That looks like 3 deer in the truck to me. Dan.
That’s the plan.
I've never found RL12 up here, but I always thought it would be useful. I did have RL15 in good supply, however.
When Varget disappeared off of the local shelves a local LGS had RL12 on the floor underneath the powder shelf. I bought it and it’s magic in my 223 Rem. It’s been so-so in other calibers I’ve tried it in.

CFE223 and IMR 8202 work well also.
Couple of weeks ago I was at different store and they had both , but at $45/lb I’m trying to make the best with what I currently have on hand. This spring I burned up my remaining CFE223 on my brothers 223🙁

Due to vehˆcle wreck and various health issues I have not been allowed to shoot a rifle the beginnibg of 2020. I may have shot a few rounds from handgun, probably in early 2021 but thats been it. Currently, I would say my reloading supplies are in decent shape because I'm not allowed to shoot. Color me P.O,ed.
Paul B.

Yeah... My 204 Ruger is a hungry lady when it comes to CFE223
RL10x is my preferred powder.

Due to vehˆcle wreck and various health issues I have not been allowed to shoot a rifle the beginnibg of 2020. I may have shot a few rounds from handgun, probably in early 2021 but thats been it. Currently, I would say my reloading supplies are in decent shape because I'm not allowed to shoot. Color me P.O,ed.
Paul B.
Well that just sucks. I hope you’re on the mend to get back into the game.

Paul B.
Sorry to hear that. I have a Bog Deathgrip tripod the wife uses as she is very recoil sensitive due to surgery on her dominant side. Between that and a good break, it brings the recoil down to tolerable levels for her. I don't know your particulars (please don't feel obligated to share), but if that helps, it helps.

Sorry to hear that. I have a Bog Deathgrip tripod the wife uses as she is very recoil sensitive due to surgery on her dominant side. Between that and a good break, it brings the recoil down to tolerable levels for her. I don't know your particulars (please don't feel obligated to share), but if that helps, it helps.
Big problem now is the port they placed in my right shoulder so they can do the chemo. Doc asked me which side I preferred and I said the left as I'm a shooter. The S.O.B. put it on the right side right where the butt of the rifle goes. When I raise hell about it he said the oncologist wanted it on that side. Asked the oncologist and he denied it. I'm think one of those two dude, maybe both are anti gun or anti hunting.
Paul B.

Big problem now is the port they placed in my right shoulder so they can do the chemo. Doc asked me which side I preferred and I said the left as I'm a shooter. The S.O.B. put it on the right side right where the butt of the rifle goes. When I raise hell about it he said the oncologist wanted it on that side. Asked the oncologist and he denied it. I'm think one of those two dude, maybe both are anti gun or anti hunting.
Paul B.
Yeah, that sucks. Sorry. Had family go through surgery and radiation. Had a good friend go through the whole gamut many years back. If you need anything, don't worry about PMing me, even if it's just to have someone to talk to.

Never forget trying to cover for incompetence. That is always a possibility.

Sorry, this is more a stream of consciousness than a coherent reply.

Yeah, that sucks. Sorry. Had family go through surgery and radiation. Had a good friend go through the whole gamut many years back. If you need anything, don't worry about PMing me, even if it's just to have someone to talk to.

Never forget trying to cover for incompetence. That is always a possibility.

Sorry, this is more a stream of consciousness than a coherent reply.
Yeah, I hear you.
Paul B.

Great results with the 225 BT! That will bowl bucks over post haste!

Love me some 35 Whelen. Still near the tippety top of my favorites.
Yes it is one of those "do anything" sort of cartridges. Makes upright things lay flat with remarkable ease.

Back