35 Whelen 200 ABs and RL15

SJB358

Ballistician
Dec 24, 2006
Well, TD sent me a bag of 200 AB's awhile back, and I loaded them up a few weeks ago. Having a chance to run them yesterday I was sorta excited as they seemed like they would be real good in the Whelen. It shoots the 225's and 250's very well, but having a 35 Newton on hand kinda makes me wanna try the lighter bullets in the Whelen.

Anyhow, These are way off the lands in the 700 CDL, so jump wasn't a problem. Matter of fact I'd bet they are close to .150" off or better.

I did just take the VX3 1.5x5 off my shotgun and put it on the Whelen. To be totally honest, I sorta like it alot.. While not high on X's, it worked well...

So, I had to zero it up. Had a bunch of 225 AB's loaded with RL15 in the box so that's what I started with..

It shot a decent enough group with them. Not as tight as it could have possibly been, but good enough to let me know the rifle is still shooting well.

On to the 200's..

I am missing one of the pictures of a charge I shot, but they were all relatively about the same.. Pretty sure I need to shorten them up some..

And the speeds..

Not really impressed with the speeds too awfully much, I know they would work fine around the upper end, but I know it's capable of more. I ran the 200 Hornady SP over the chrono that was in the box and got an easy 2858FPS.. Granted, speed isn't everything, but I think I am going to try some of that new IMR4166 or maybe some 8208 such as Gerry is using for another try at these..

So, Gerry and you others, give up your 200 grain AB's loads when you can... Need your help! :grin:

what is your load with the 4064 Scott?

I have 200 AB's loaded with 8208 at 57-59 gr

Sorry Scotty but the only loads I have are for the 35AI. If you can find some CFE223 I do think you will like it.

I messed with the 200 gr bullets back in the late 80's and pretty much used IMR4064.
When Nosler introduced the 225 gr PT, I used Max loads of IMR4064 and AA2015BR.
Today, RL15 is my go to powder for the 35 Whelen.
I need to pull the 35 Whelen from the safe and give the 200 gr AB a try.
Maybe even use it this fall for WT deer.

JD338

FOTIS":1envbwbk said:
what is your load with the 4064 Scott?

I have 200 AB's loaded with 8208 at 57-59 gr

Fotis, I wanna say it is around 62 grains of 4064, don't hold me to it, as it was a straggler left behind in my load boxes for bore fouling. They were very accurate though. I do know you need a long drop tube in order to get it all in RP cases.

TD, I am thinking if I can grab some H322, 8208 or CFE223 I'll give one of those a shot. Was hoping RL15 would have worked better but it is too slow to really get them up to speed, at least my current lot of it is.

Looking forward to working with the old Whelen a little. It has been awhile but it is usually a very accurate rifle. I can't see it not coming together with a little faster powder.

A fine start with that bullet, Scotty. I agree that the scope looks pretty Skookum atop your CDL. For most of the big 35s, I can be quite content with less power on the scope.

Scotty,

That Leupold VX3 1.5x5x20mm looks great on top of your 35 Whelen.
That rig is ready for a WT hunt in a cedar swamp or elk in the black timber.

JD338

Scotty I have the same scope on my 30-06 and I like it a lot as it's never been off that rifle.
For the 35AI I chose to go with a bigger scope for better light gathering capabilities.
The CFE223 is good in the 35AI as Well as H322 and since both are ball powder you can get a lot of it in a case.
Since I set the 35AI up with a lot of jump I got caught up trying to chase the lands which was the wrong thing to do and you may have to go really short with the 200gr AB to get it to work like 3.330" OAL and plain forget about the free bore.

truck driver":1zeu7d3e said:
Scotty I have the same scope on my 30-06 and I like it a lot as it's never been off that rifle.
For the 35AI I chose to go with a bigger scope for better light gathering capabilities.
The CFE223 is good in the 35AI as Well as H322 and since both are ball powder you can get a lot of it in a case.
Since I set the 35AI up with a lot of jump I got caught up trying to chase the lands which was the wrong thing to do and you may have to go really short with the 200gr AB to get it to work like 3.330" OAL and plain forget about the free bore.

Oh yeah. For sure. I'm going to change up my powder and retry. Plenty of good choices out there. I'd bet IMR's new 4166 is a good one as well. I'm not worried. I'll make em shoot. I'll threaten sale of that old Remington if it doesn't straighten up :lol:

Thanks Jim. I like the set up a lot. Seems bright and makes the rifle real handy.

Hey Scotty, I tried H 4895 with the 200's as well and had average results, you might get better accuracy in your gun. Varget did quite well with the 200 gr AB at around 2810 fps I believe, of course you know about the IMR 8208 load I'm so happy with already. Your thought about IMR 4166 is an interesting one, it might work out just fine........ Your CDL looks really good with that 1.5-5x20 Leupold. Years ago I had some good loads with AA 2015 and even H 322 but mostly with 225's, I would think both of those powders would do well with the 200's. You had some good success with IMR 4064 and those Hornady's so I would be inclined to look at that but would take a close look at IMR 4166, CFE 223 and IMR 8208. Should be able to get in the 2800-2900 fps range pretty easily with those powders. Your gun is a shooter so it probably won't take too long to come up with something good.

I agree with gerry about using a slower burning powder. I did use 4895 for case forming with 200gr Hornady SPSP bullet and it shot well but was jammed into the lands with out me knowing it when I first got the 35AI back from JES.

That scope is same one I had on my 338WM for 20 years! Great all arounder! Nice outfit
E

gerry":3bv5eeot said:
Hey Scotty, I tried H 4895 with the 200's as well and had average results, you might get better accuracy in your gun. Varget did quite well with the 200 gr AB at around 2810 fps I believe, of course you know about the IMR 8208 load I'm so happy with already. Your thought about IMR 4166 is an interesting one, it might work out just fine........ Your CDL looks really good with that 1.5-5x20 Leupold. Years ago I had some good loads with AA 2015 and even H 322 but mostly with 225's, I would think both of those powders would do well with the 200's. You had some good success with IMR 4064 and those Hornady's so I would be inclined to look at that but would take a close look at IMR 4166, CFE 223 and IMR 8208. Should be able to get in the 2800-2900 fps range pretty easily with those powders. Your gun is a shooter so it probably won't take too long to come up with something good.

I'll take a look the next time I'm in grabbing some powder. 4166 sounds interesting as does 8208 and CFE223.

It's pretty fun getting the Whelen out a little. Been awhile since I have ran some rounds through it.

That seems like it would be a good bullet in it Scotty. The 225 gr. really looks like it works very well though! Oh man we are just never happy are we!

David

6mm Remington":11wi5ypa said:
That seems like it would be a good bullet in it Scotty. The 225 gr. really looks like it works very well though! Oh man we are just never happy are we!

David

I just figured the Whelen with the 200's zipping along a little faster might be a Whitetail stomper. Not that the 225's and 250's don't, but they the lighter bullets seem like they fit. I've sorta got the Newton shoehorned with 225's and 250's. That cartridge really puts the heat on those bullets.

Back