Not a bad reduced load.

ShadeTree

Handloader
Mar 6, 2017
Done some testing with the fast IMR 4198 powder in my 35 Whelen and the Speer 180.

Seated to the cannelure gave me an OAL of 3.070. 43 gr's was the winner on accuracy at slightly under 3/4". Might be a dandy reduced load. Both report and recoil is mild. Very mild for a Whelen.

Upper 2400's is light yrs off what can be gotten with a Whelen, but Whelen speed wasn't what I was after and at that speed it is like a super duper turbo charged speed in a 35 Remington. If it holds on either side of an inch I'll be tickled and look forward to using it.

Looks like an excellent reduced load. Going to have to keep an eye open for some IMR 4198 to try with my stash of 180 gr Speers.

Looks like an excellent reduced load. Going to have to keep an eye open for some IMR 4198 to try with my stash of 180 gr Speers.
My rifle is 22" and has a throat and bore that isn't doing it any favors for either speed or accuracy so that charge weight might not match up to your rifle. If your rifle is 22" you might end up being a grain or so less, don't know. I'd get it to 2475 in a 22" or right handy 2525 in a 24" and try it.

It is very mild to shoot and if it holds to even 1.25" in my rifle I'll be happy. That will get me out to any distance I'd want to shoot with that setup and do it at a very effective speed for that bullet.

I should add, this is in a 16 twist. If anybody is trying it with a 12 or even a 14 twist, it's possible the speed would need to be lowered for accuracy. Just surmising, don't know that as fact, but it is an awfully short bullet. A 12 twist would be trying to spin its guts out.

That's a great group, in my opinion. And I would not worry about the velocity that much. 2477 or 2400 for that matter will be more than enough to kill whatever you put it in.
I suppose if I had one concern it would be the price of the paper you're using as a target. $25 is just far too costly to do load development.

That's a great group, in my opinion. And I would not worry about the velocity that much. 2477 or 2400 for that matter will be more than enough to kill whatever you put it in.
I suppose if I had one concern it would be the price of the paper you're using as a target. $25 is just far too costly to do load development.

:ROFLMAO: That it would be. My wife got a bunch of rolls of those price stickers a few years back at a yard sale or somewhere for a couple bucks. Got a couple more rolls then I'm gonna have to come up with new target stickers.

:ROFLMAO: That it would be. My wife got a bunch of rolls of those price stickers a few years back at a yard sale or somewhere for a couple bucks. Got a couple more rolls then I'm gonna have to come up with new target stickers.
Good shooting and another use of the Whelen. Be prepared for sticker shock when your roll of $25 stickers run out:D Dan.

Back