Ready, but grumpy

bmgillum":wgdvpin2 said:
Tom

Save yourself some angst and dump that 264...I'll give you $500 for it...

Cheers/bg

The generosity and compassion of those posting on this site is inspiring, to say the least. :lol:

Don't listen to just anyone, Tom; their offers may be quite self-serving. Now, a sincere and kindly soul such as myself will never lead you astray. I'll take that nasty old .264 off your hands so that you need not worry again. There! Problem solved. (y)

I'm just floored by the helpfulness of the group.

Let's see what the rifle does this afternoon. I pushed a lot of copper out of it, so I'm cautiously optimistic.

It's flinging 140AB's pretty fast, and I have no doubt it'll be fearsome on critters if the scrubbing I gave it brings its mojo back.

OK, shot tonight and got about 2", so I guess that's an improvement. Still wasn't happy, obviously.

I was packing up and I flipped the ocular scope cap shut. Pushed on it to make sure it was shut. Click.

Did the objective cap. Didn't hear it, but felt it snug up. Gave it just a little more push to be sure. Click. Wait...what?

Pushed it again, no click. Hmmmm......

Pushed on ocular. Click. What?????

Pushed on objective cover. Click. Ummmm......

Took a close look while pressing alternately on the ocular cover and then the objective cover. The front base would move just enough to perceive the motion. Son of a.....

So.....gonna give this another try, but probably can't until Thurs at the earliest. Dang.

I put my FAT wrench to the base screws (Talley 2-piece steel) and snugged them up to 65in/lbs. No more click.

Good luck with that Tom. I think you might have solved your problem between cleaning and tightening the screws.

Grumpiness gone.

I shot the 264 today and it showed its appreciation for proper maintenance being performed. :)

First two shots literally overlapped, 2" high at 100 yards, good on windage. 3rd shot stretched the group to just shy of an inch, pushing out to the right by 1/2" or so. It's windy today, with winds coming and going, reaching into the high teen's/low 20's for wind speed, and the direction was left to right relative to the range. A 1/2" in the direction the wind was blowing at 100 yards is entirely believable, and if it wasn't the wind, it's still a very usable level of accuracy.

That's a with a 140AB breaking 3200fps.

Now I just have to wait till I can use it to kill stuff.

So, 300WSM, 270 Win, 30-06, 45-70, and 264WM are all good to go. Just gotta load ammo.

Whelen, 300H&H, and 257 are slated for serious load work for next fall. I will have to keep the 257 sane so I have a spare for my daughter if her 7WSM runs into an issued during hunting season, but it can be juiced a bit from where it's at now. I have the 100PT doing 2650 at the muzzle. I don't think 2850-2900 is unreasonable. By next fall, I think Megan will be shooting 120's at those speeds from her 7WSM anyway.

Tom, have you noticed that DrMike is smoother than 14 year old bourbon :wink:.
Now us guys from Saskatchewan we shoot straight from the hip :lol:.
I am sure you will get that 264 win mag straightened out in short order. I have not heard from gerry on this matter and he has a bit of a thing for the 264 (y).
Again good luck on figuring out that puzzle.

Blessings,
Dan

It's figured out enough now to hunt this season with it. I'll look to refine things later. Shooting at MOA with 15-20mph crosswinds coming and going is good enough for my purposes. That load has produced MOA to 300 yards on paper in the past. It gave me MOA at 100 today and is where I want it for a zero on the scope. I'm callin' it good. :)

Good to see you got everything squared away. "Fourteen year old bourbon," Dan. Don't know how to take that.

Glad you got it all sorted out Tom. How far did you have to drop your loss to get 3200? 1-2 grains?

Can't beat MOA in windy conditions. I'd hunt the tar out of it.

Same load. Lower charges didn't do terrible but not as good.

Just a tiny bit of resistance on bolt lift. Gave it 3 min between shots, which helped. 10 min between groups.

Next best was 1.5 gr lower with just over 1".

Oh, this old beat up thing?

null_zps8aba6f96.jpg

You guys wouldn't want something so plain and ordinary....

You shouldn't have posted that picture :shock: , Fotis won't be able to sleep till he can buy it. :roll: :lol:
That is a great looking piece of wood you got there.

I surely hate to see you compelled to use such a dreadful example of the gunsmith's work, Tom. Tell you what, I can arrange to take that old thing off your hands so you no longer need be embarrassed. I won't even charge you for this service. Now, is that generous? Or is that generous?

Tom, I knew this would happen as soon as I saw the picture. Now DrMike is ready to take on Home Land Security to get it and I'll bet he'll say the Devil made him do it :!: :shock: :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Back