Give credit where Credit is due! TSX

FOTIS

Range Officer
Staff member
Oct 30, 2004
I took my Ruger #1 458 Lott elk hunting this year. Humped and humped but alas my efforts did not bear fruit.
A buddy wanted to take a shot with it since he never shot a 458 Lott before, so I let him.
The load is 350 TSX under 93 grains of H4895; a compressed load. Accuracy is great and velocity is 2820 or so. My goal was to get 30-06 180 gr ballistics and I think I achieved that.

Johnnie picked out a 13" in diameter pine tree about 25 yards away and let loose. The bullet went through the tree completely and penetrated another pine tree about 1.5" in the tree, 30 yards behind the first tree. Feast your eyes on the recovered slug.

137L.jpg

xxx014.jpg

xxx017.jpg

xxx018.jpg

Man, I bet that would put serious hurt on an elk. That looks like about the same thing I have gotten from TSX's I have shot into game. The one thing about the TSX's is they always look pretty when they are recovered. I will try and post up a picture of the 35 Whelen 225gr TSX I got out of my bear. It is perfect, but lost one of the petals. Great game bullet. Scotty

Fascinating photo. Did you happen to weigh the recovered bullet, POP?

Well, one can't complain about weight retention. Undoubtedly, that would put the hurt on some big animals.

Glad to see some credit being given. The TSX is an amazing bullet. I've had quite the time finding a load that my .257 WBY Mag and .338 Win Mag would shoot well. I've settled with the 115 grain and 225 Grain TSX's. Both are shooting under 3/4" at 100 yards, and performance on critters is unbelievable. Thanks for posting this POP.

POP, 416 Rigby, 400 TSX, 102 gr H4350. At the 200yd burm, dug 2 feet in and could never find a slug. They are real pile drivers...

Yeah - I've been a Nosler fan for decades, but those TSX bullets are good too - no doubt.

These days we've got our pick of many excellent bullets.

I have had good luck with the 100 grain tsxs in my .257 weatherby
I use ramshot hunter and get about .6 and 3550.
I loaded some 225s for my .338 over either hunter or magnum.
Will shoot them soon
I also bougt a box of 110 grain accubonds to try in my .257 wetherby.
I am thinking of IMR-7828.
The only game animal I ever tokk with a tsx was a fork forn mule deer at about 105 yards with my .257 roberts. I perfect brodside hit.
The buck did not react for about 2 seconds then he jumped about 5 feet in the air , did a 360 when he landed then fell over dead.
My frend shot his buck that year with a 7 mag and a 175 grain sierra.
I think the .257 roberts hit the buck just as hard as the big rem mag did !
...tj3006

POP I think you might of been under gunned just a bit for a tree that large :wink:

I have shot the 225 TSX our of my 338 and they shot great, and killed elk pretty dang good. Some times they lose the petals but if the shot is in the right place to start with I don't think it matters.

Am I goofy or does it seem a little wierd that we're bragging up barnes bullets on Noslers website??
They're nice enough to give us a general reloading forum. I know that people will drift from time to time and competitive bullets will come into the conversation. To me this is like going to a chevy forum and showing pic's of your brand new ford.
Nosler, hornady and barnes are constanty coming out with new bullets that keep features and benefits at the front of the class. No one is ever at the top of the heap forever....or sometimes even very long. Seems like out of respect we could keep the converstation oriented more along the supplier of the forum.
Maybe I'm over reacting and apologize if I am.

One of the features that has made the Nosler Forum so enjoyable is an openness to discussion of all bullets. The moderators and company representatives are obviously not offended by such discussions. I don't think Nosler's position at the top of the hill is threatened by acknowledging the merits of other manufacturer's products. I think you are correct, Kraky, in your assessment that competition compels development, and the rapidly changing desires of the public drive this competition. I don't believe any apology is required, but neither should anyone be offended by discussions of the merits of other products. I seriously doubt that anyone will cease buying Nosler bullets because someone touts Barnes. As long as Nosler bullets continue to perform as they do, the members of this forum will continue to shoot them.

DrMike":1w6doxgc said:
One of the features that has made the Nosler Forum so enjoyable is an openness to discussion of all bullets. The moderators and company representatives are obviously not offended by such discussions. .......................

I totally agree. That is why this place is special to us. Plus....see my title of this post... 8)

Tree did not score high though it had huge branches, tastes too dry..... :wink:

DrMike":2gunjvok said:
One of the features that has made the Nosler Forum so enjoyable is an openness to discussion of all bullets. The moderators and company representatives are obviously not offended by such discussions. I don't think Nosler's position at the top of the hill is threatened by acknowledging the merits of other manufacturer's products. I think you are correct, Kraky, in your assessment that competition compels development, and the rapidly changing desires of the public drive this competition. I don't believe any apology is required, but neither should anyone be offended by discussions of the merits of other products. I seriously doubt that anyone will cease buying Nosler bullets because someone touts Barnes. As long as Nosler bullets continue to perform as they do, the members of this forum will continue to shoot them.

No one here has ever been flamed for using brand x bullets. We are all here to learn.

JD338

I don't think the good folks at Nosler would mind at all. This is still a free country. I for one were guilty for posting the result of my using other brand of bullets here. For the fact that I'm still here and not banned tells me that it's a no issue here in this forum. Nosler makes excellent bullet and so are other bullet manufacturers. Competition breed innovation and we in the shooting community are the benefactors of that.

Back