Going to British Columbia to chase moose

I know I am 8 months out, but this is a big trip for me and I like to plan so I wanted to get your guys feedback on my anticipated gear list. The list below is the general list the outfitter sent me and next to it is the specific I item I plan on taking. There are a few items I am not decided on yet and would love suggestions for those items particularly. I am restricted 50 pounds including my rifle.

Rifle - Custom Winchester 70 Classic 338 win mag, Zeiss HD5 2-10X42
Ammo - Handloads - 250gr. Nosler Partitions, 40 rounds
Binoculars - 10x42 Leica Geovid HD
Knife - Cabelas Fixed Blade Alaskan Guide, and Havalon for caping
GPS - Garmin 650, not required but I always take into the woods
Camera - Iphone
Day Pack - KUIU 3200"
Water Bottle (Purified) - NOT SURE???
Head Lamps - Cabelas
10 degree sleeping bag - Not SURE???
Sleeping Pad - Cabelas Instict - insulated
Rain Gear - KUIU Teton, Pants/Jacket
Boots - Meindel Denali
Socks - Merino Wool
Clothes - KUIU Teton Full Layering System, merino wool underwear
Gloves - kuiu merino 210

Mosquito Repellent, personal care items, and possibly a lightweight tripod to mount optics on.

I would invest in some stretchable game bags, unless the outfitter provides them. The ones I picked up in Canada on my hunt in 2003 are still getting used today. The one thing I always take, even if I don't get to it, is something to read. We had some down time where the guide would get a little nap in and I would usually read. Books and magazines get heavy but perhaps downloading some books on your phone or a small tablet would be beneficial. Since you're already taking a phone, it wouldn't add an ounce.

If you're driving up, it will give you some wiggle room about items that you might question. What is absolutely required can be left in camp and/or in your vehicle. No doubt the outfitter has specific recommendations of what is necessary and what is nice. They have a pretty good handle on what to have along. I'm looking forward to your hunt almost as much as you're looking forward to it. (y)

Might try to fit in some taller rubber boots.
Last year was a pretty wet year from what I was told but I started out wearing waterproof leather boots. After stepping in water filled holes twice that were over the top of my boots I switched to my Muck boots. They made it much easier getting around in all of the water not having to worry about my leather boots giving in.
I still wished they were a taller boot occasionally also... :oops: That wet terrain ( muskeg ) is sticky stuff for sure.

You will have a blast!

Camo

I've done a lot of research on moose hunting in BC. I'm betting you have a great trip.
I've always believed a guy who is in good/ great shape with a 2moa 06 will kill more elk over a life time then others. Good job getting back in shape.
I would, if you haven't, get a good map of the area. Study it, it will help you pull things together while there.
I applaud the GPS. A few waypoints during the day may be critical if something happens to your guide.
Fire starter, space blanket and a life straw in your pack?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your gear list looks good... just a couple items to think about.

40 rounds of ammo is really just extra. One box is plenty, maybe just ten rounds. If you can leave the extra in camp or in the rig- that's fine. Two boxes of shells is really quite a bit of a 50 pound limit when the most you'll likely use is just a couple.

Lots of folks like 250s in the .338...I'd suggest the 210-225s. Moose typically aren't shot at long distance but depending on terrain some reach may be required. Modern bullets have no issue with penetration at moderate bullet weights.

I'd skip the big belt knife...I've butchered three AK/YUK moose with nothing but a havalon and a Wyoming saw. Carry whatever favorite folder in your pocket for camp tasks and you're set.

I like plain Jane Nalgene bottles- works with most water filters and they won't burst and leak in your pack like a bladder.

I'd consider a bit beefier pack if you think you might be packing meat. The rear quarter on a moose will overwhelm most packs. Kuiu makes a decent light duty pack...not really a moose pack.

Will you be taking hip boots or some type of wader? Moose country is generally wet country.

Sounds like a great trip- the anticipation must be killing you!

hodgeman":2ks1tar5 said:
Your gear list looks good... just a couple items to think about.

40 rounds of ammo is really just extra. One box is plenty, maybe just ten rounds. If you can leave the extra in camp or in the rig- that's fine. Two boxes of shells is really quite a bit of a 50 pound limit when the most you'll likely use is just a couple.

Lots of folks like 250s in the .338...I'd suggest the 210-225s. Moose typically aren't shot at long distance but depending on terrain some reach may be required. Modern bullets have no issue with penetration at moderate bullet weights.

I'd skip the big belt knife...I've butchered three AK/YUK moose with nothing but a havalon and a Wyoming saw. Carry whatever favorite folder in your pocket for camp tasks and you're set.

I like plain Jane Nalgene bottles- works with most water filters and they won't burst and leak in your pack like a bladder.

I'd consider a bit beefier pack if you think you might be packing meat. The rear quarter on a moose will overwhelm most packs. Kuiu makes a decent light duty pack...not really a moose pack.

Will you be taking hip boots or some type of wader? Moose country is generally wet country.

Sounds like a great trip- the anticipation must be killing you!

Idahohunter8,

you have received a lot of good advise, but the above post by Hodgeman has a lot of good suggestions in it, specifically related to your list. We hunt moose several times each year and what he has told you is spot on. Close range shots, no need for more than a box of shells, although I do use a 250 in the 348, he is correct, it is not necessary for moose, large knife is not needed, and if the moose is not in the water when you shoot him, there is a possibility he will be when you go to retrieve him--good hip boots are a must. Hope you have a great time and tip over a nice one

I can't add too much with what was said so far, good luck on the hunt. I would agree with hodgeman in recommending something in the 200-225 gr range. The bullets in that range will be flatter shooting and still do the job easily. Obviously a 250 gr bullet will work but with modern bullets I would go with something lighter.

I'd stick with the 250 gr bullet. How far away is the moose going to be shot at 200 yds or maybe 300yds,the 250 is still going plenty fast enough to get the job done. Besides,the fun will be stalking close to the animal and make a killing shot. ;)

True, I'm not shooting a 338 Win Mag, but a 200 grain E-Tip from a 338 Federal drops a moose quite handily. I've taken them with everything from a 160 grain .284 bullet from a .280 to a .250 grain bullet from a .356. My favourite bullet/load is a 200 grain Partition from a 325 WSM. Never had a moose walk away from a well-delivered shot. They are not difficult to drop. A 200 or 210 grain bullet from your 338 Win Mag will drop any moose with genuine authority. You're going to have a lot of fun on this trip, without a doubt.

I haven't hunted moose either, I'm going in 2018 for my first time. I have used the Havalon knives quite a bit and do like them for caping. I'm to hard on a knife I guess though, I break blades quartering game with them. I got one of the Outdoor Edge replaceable blade knives for renewing an Eastmans subscription and like it better. It doesn't weigh much and might be a good addition or replacement for the Havalon. I like having a tough fixed blade personally and usually pack one, so I wouldn't tell you not to take that either. Sounds like you'll have a guide with you who will have a knife so it might make sense to select your blade after seeing what he will have, get something to compliment it.

I've been cutting net wrap on round bales with the Outdoor Edge for a month and a half, 30-40 bales per week. I hit it on the kitchen steel twice a week for about 5 swipes per side and I'm still on the original blade. I got a ceramic steel from Cabelas that weighs 2.5oz I'm taking on my moose hunt with the Outdoor Edge and a fixed blade. Getting dumped in Alaska for 10 days and knowing me, I want a fixed blade I can't easily tear up doing camp tasks, making kindling, etc.

Good luck on your hunt, sounds awesome. I'll be using a Rifles Inc re-built M70 in 300 win mag with 180gr Accubonds. Your 338 should be just the ticket. I love M70's.

I work on a ranch and ride several days most weeks. If you have a chance ride before hand, you will be sore if not. Take some pain killers along and don't be afraid to walk and lead the horse if you get to sore. Stirrup length is a big deal for long days in the saddle, find what is comfortable for you and adjust them to that. I ride my stirrups a little longer than most arena riders, it is more comfortable for me on long days. Finding a saddle that fits you is important too, the outfitter might have a few to choose from. Personally I prefer a ranch saddle with a slick seat and high back to a padded seat. I'll put a link up to the saddle I like best so you can see what it looks like.

http://www.irvinesaddles.ca/products/15 ... -bchr-2176

I've had buddies who used to ride and now have town jobs take off a vest or other layer and put it between them and the saddle on long rides that say it helps too. The wool vests like the Filson are what they had, haven't tried that personally.

Back