Good load found - 6.5x284

elkeater2

Handloader
Jan 5, 2009
My son was given a 6.5x284 as a wedding present. The good friend who gave it worked on load development but didn't get very far. Son sent it to me, I did a borecast, torqued all the screws to spec, and gave it the BTE treatment. Screws were not tight. The rifle is a Savage 116 and has a Vortex scope, not sure of the model.
My son went from watching me to helping me reload growing up. Only a few years ago he got his own gear, but travel, house moves, etc. interfered with using it. Today, with only a little mentorship and after research then developing initial loads on his own it came together for him! He was so excited when he called and sent me this picture. 3 shots. Am I proud of him? Oh man!
Load is 52 gr. 7828ssc behind a Berger 140 Elite Hunter. Lapua brass. Federal 210's. COAL 3.188 (after following his plan and experimenting with seating depths about .020" at a time starting close to the lands)

Attachments

• IMG-0150.jpg
    IMG-0150.jpg
    453.1 KB · Views: 535
You have every reason to be proud of his work, and he has every reason to be pleased with what he has produced. That counts as enviable in anyone's book. Excellent job.

Thanks, Dr. Mike. Other groups with the same bullet, first slightly different loads, then slightly different seating depths narrowed it down. Finding a wind-free morning just over the hill from Fotis was a challenge. We both know that 3-shot groups don't tell the whole story, but I'll bet he carries a picture of that group for a while.

Well done!
That should inspire confidence in both reloading and shooting skills, and in the rifle itself!
May he have many great adventures with it!

Well done!
That should inspire confidence in both reloading and shooting skills, and in the rifle itself!
May he have many great adventures with it!

Oh yeah, that is great.
Let us see the results of the next range day!

Gesendet von meinem HUAWEI VNS-L31 mit Tapatalk

Excellent! Great load development and shooting. You are correct to be proud of your son.

Dan

Ho! Happy for you both! That will get it done. Nice wedding present. I think "we" got a silver service.... :lol: CL

Back