Good loads for a new 7m-08

longwinters

Handloader
Oct 10, 2004
Tomorrow morning I go to pic up my new Browning stainless stalker in 7m-08. I got rid of a Sako 308 that did not shoot up to my expectations and hope that this rifle will fit the bill. I am heading to the rifle range right from the gun dealers so am going to load up some Nosler BT's and Accubonds (140 gn) with probably a 2.810 OAL since I do not know exactly where this rifle will measure up with the magazine and chamber.

I have a few loads with R-15, H-4350 and Varget so unless I get some pearls of wisdom from you guys I will try what I already have.

With the cost of gas here (I am sure you can relate) I want to do the rifle pickup and the shooting in the same trip :lol:

Long

Long,

Congratulations on the new Browning 7-08. It will be an excellent rifle for the cedar swamps.

Here are a couple of 7mm-08 Rem loads you might want to try.

140 gr BT
48.0 grs RL19
W-W case
Federal GM210M primer

140 gr BT
42.0 grs IMR4064
W-W case
Federal GM210M primer

Both loads shot sub MOA from my friends Ruger M77 carbine.,
As always, work up carefully.

Regards,

JD338

Well first the typical warnings, the following loads are what work well in my rifle they are both safe and accurate. Both loads are hot so work up slow. I am shooting these loads out of a remington model seven that is totally unmodified including the horrible 7 pound trigger.
Load 1 (for deer sized critters)

140 Grain Nosler Ballistic Tip
48 Grains H 414
Remington Case Trimmed to 2.025
CCI 200
OAL 2.800

This load will honestly shoot one hole groups at a 100 yards if I do my part. It is devasting on deer almost to devasting.

Load 2 (for big critters)

160 Grain Accubonds
44.5 Grains H414
Case same as above
CCI 250
OAL same as above

This load will shoot just under an inch at a 100 yards. I used this load for Bison back in Feb of this year. The results were impressive. I had three out of four rounds completely pentrate the skull at about 125 yards. The one that did not pass through was the killing shot. It was imbedded in the rear of the skull after passing through the brainstem. On another buffalo at about 90 yards I had complete pass through on three lung shots. I am a definate believer in the AccuBond.

When time allows I will play with the 140 grain AccuBond. If I can get the accuracy I want I will probably use it instead of the Ballistic tips.

Well out of the 3 loads I took for the S.S it did real well with Re-15 and 140 Bal. tips. Groups in the low .500's. For some reason Varget, H4350 and Hornady Interbonds were not the ticket. I was real surprised about the H4350 but not about the Interbonds. I have tried them in 4 rifles now with all kinds of powders etc... and nothing that I have had shoots them worth a nickle. I have to do some OAL work and also load up some of my favorites (140 Accubonds) to hopefully try on Monday.

One thing about the Browning S.S is that the clip is quite short (2.805) so I pretty much will have to stick with the SAAMI 2.80 OAL.

Long

Long,

Thanks for the update. Sounds like you are well on your way to a fine shooting rifle. Shooting in the low .5's with an out of the box rifle is excellent!

Regards,

JD338

!40gr B-Tips and a max load of H4350 shoots into .5" @ 100yds in my Tikka 595.

I do use fully prepped Lapua brass and Fed match primers, which may help with the tight groups. Varget is also a good choice.

H414 will usually give top velocity and good accuracy. However, it is said to be a dirty powder that is temperature sensitive.

I have not encountered any problems with H414. I can shoot my loads in any temerture conditions with the same accuracy results. I have not chronographed them but if there is any variation it has no ill effects on accuracy. As far as being dirty I have found to be no different than nearly any other rfile powder.

I was very happy with the results of the RE-15 load. But my buddy has this same rifle in 280 and it is a great shooter so I figured it was worth the chance to try a Browning. This rifle needs a trigger job, even though it has an adjustable trigger a/c feels a little mushy and is between 3-4#'s. I prefer something between 2-3#'s.

Yeh, I thought H4350 would be great also. I loaded 1/2 gn off of Noslers maximum load recommendations. But the groups were well over an inch. I always read that guys like Varget also, and it is a powder that I also have never had much luck with. I must give off some weird vibes or something.

Tomorrow I will try a few loads with Bal. Tips and Re-15, also the same load with the 140 Accubonds and 140 Partitions. All with CCI primers and an OAL of 2.80. Hopefully shortening the OAL from 2.810 to 2.80 will not cause a swelling of my groups and a deflating of my ego :lol:

Thanks for the comments.

Long

Back