Got a double on does!

jmad_81

Handloader
Feb 14, 2007
My wife and I took our 2yr old out to fill our doe tags today. For a 2yr old she did very well. She was quiet, sat still, and was very excited about beeing out looking for deer.

My wife was shooting her 22-250 loaded with some 64gr BSB doing 3375. We have been practicing for a month or so. She was making hits out to 400 with great consistency. After several stalks that didn't pan out, we found about ten does bedded down. We put a sneak on them and got to with in 300 yards. We had to wait a while for them to stand up and start to strech out. After a bunch of switching from one doe to another. We finally found a good shot. At the shot the doe lept and ran a few yards. She staggered and got all wide legged. I could see her squirting blood out low, right behind the shoulder. Good job babe!

We watched all the deer just stand around looking at the fallen friend for a while when my wife said, "don't you have a tag as well?" So I snuck back to the truck and grabbed my Win M70 270 weatherby. I got set back up, waited for a good shot. A nice doe stepped out, and I let her have a 140 AB behind the shoulder. I watched her run about ten yards, and tip over. We sat there and watched for a few more minutes as both does lay there dead, and all the others just stood there looking around trying to figure out what has happening. After several minutes of no movement we headed back to the truck and started to drive over to our prizes laing not more than 10 yards apart. As we were driving closer the others started to move off. I kept looking for the second deer. I could not find her next to my wifes. We looked up the hill, and trailing the rest of the does, was mine, with blood running down both front legs. I took off on foot, and after about a half mile I caught back up to her, and put another 140 AB through her neck. This time she was down for sure!

Upon further investigation, my shot was about three inches to far back, and was only a couple of inches up from the bottom. My wifes deer was also only a couple of inches up from the bottom. Both of us had been practicing quite a bit, and knew that a dead on hold at 300 would only put us two inches low at 300. When I first ranged them, they were bedded, and at 300. After they got up and walked around a bit, they got a little farther away. I screwed up and didn't tell my wife, or myself to adjust just a few inches up. Luckily, my wife got hers done in a better fashion than I did.

Mason, and Jim had sent me a bag of the 64gr BSB, wanting to see how they did on a deer shoulder. Guys, I'm sorry, but we missed the shoulder. She took the bottom of the heart off, just missing the near shoulder and just clipping the edge of the far shoulder. I was very impressed with the kill. When I got to dress it out, I found a very clean wound channel, and very little meat damage. Having shot deer with a 22-250 before, I was expecting a mess. Not the case, it was cleaner than my 270 Weatherby with the 140 AB. I'll get a few pics of the recovered bullets (from dirt at the range) up in the bullet review section here in a bit. All in all, I'm very happy with this little bullet. Bullets like this give kids and other recoil shy poeple a real solid option for taking big game, with a smaller that standard rifle (thinking about David and his son with their 6mm and the 90 gr ET taking elk with single shots).

Good on you guys! You showed again a good little bullet in the right place is better than a good big bullet in a bad place. Nice shooting for both of you. They will be really good eating as they have been mowing down all your water fed grass all summer.

Your little girl is a dynamo! That is a really cute picture. Looks like she's going to smack the guy running the camera. :lol:
David

Congrats to you both. Love that you can make it out with your wife and little girl, the 22-250 really did the job well.

Thanks guys. I really wanted to get a pic of my 270 Weatherby with my doe, but I was busy beating myself up about needing two shots to get it done. It was the first blood for that rifle. I usually like to start their training better than that.

Jake,

Congratulations to all of you, you did a great job!
Looks like Heather has the first deer kill with the .224 cal 64 gr BSB bullet.
Congratulations Heather! :grin:

JD338

Great job you and your wife did there, Jake. Congratulations on some fine eating. When you said you had to chase your doe, I remember having to chase after a dead doe on one occasion. I shot her with a .356. However, as I hurried out the door, I grabbed the wrong ammunition. I had two .356s at the time, one shooting .250 grain Kodiaks and the other shooting 220 grain Speers. I grabbed the one sighted in for the 220 grain Speers, but I was shooting the 250 grain Kodiaks. The impact was lower than I expected. While the shot knocked her down, as I turned to care for a couple of matters, she was up and away. I chased her on foot for about a quarter mile before I finally caught up to her. I was sure befuddled and somewhat embarrassed.

Very nice Jake congrats! BTW love the color scheme on the rifle.

CAhunter":3h8xs6wy said:
Jake

Congrats on the double. Is that the rifle I traded you? Looks much better now!

Sure is. My wife loves it. And I bet I have a dozen yotes on it already.

Hows the 270 WSM treating you?

jmad - missed this while I was out hunting. Great hunt report, thanks! I enjoyed the detail you put into it. Seems the little 64 gr bullet did a fine job too.

Congrats to all. You and your wife and the Little One did very well.

Guy

Jake the wsm is great! Shooting 150vlds over h1000 and loving it. Debating Taking it or my 257wby to Montana next month. did respring the trigger and stone it a bit. Also traded the 2pc bottom metal for ss 1pc.
Just curious what are the bsb?

I believe its a bonded bullet.
Jake, Congrats to the family on the hunt. Good eating for sure.
Russ

Thanks for all the kind words guy. I'll be taking my wife and daughter out for a cow elk hunt here in a few weeks. I left last week with some friends to go elk hunting and Payton (my daughter) was flat out mad at me because she couldn't go with me this time. It was both one of the saddest and proudest moments of my life.

Back