Got her done!

Fire Hawk

Beginner
Nov 7, 2012
Been a tough hunt for me this winter finding success. I had all but given up, but yesterday I pulled myself off the couch and made to 1 hour drive to my unit and went after my cow elk.

Typically, I end up hiking for 5-9 miles round trip to get into the elk and get one out. We always wait for the snow on the late season cow tags so that we can use a plastic sled to aid getting this awesome meat off of the mountain.

Around 2 pm, I pulled out of my driveway and picked up my buddy who came along. We decided we would glass the unit from the road a little as we worked our way to the trailhead. Deer were everywhere, but we didn't see any elk. We went to the trailhead and were making plans to begin out late afternoon hike, when we noticed two hunters on one of the distant ridges. Knowing that they were there, we concluded that they would have spooked any elk up there out of the country. So...we drove on and pulled off often to glass. Eventually we turned around and came back down glassing as we went. We were just about out of our unit when we spotted some "funny" looking deer. Turned out that straight up the mountain were two cow elk.

We pulled off the road and made a plan. They were about 730 yards away and feeding on an open slope. If we could skirt past the deer that were low on the ridge, we could likely make it all the way to a knoll to shoot from.

We quickly gathered our things and headed up the steep hillside, watching our wind as we went. We soon realized that one knoll would be about 500 yards, but offered a nice spot to take a rest and shoot from comfortably and likely they would never know we were there. If we continued through the next dip and preceeded to the next ridge, we would have a tough shot (assuming we weren't seen first) from about 400 yards.

I rested my pack over the rock on the knoll and laid my Kimber 325wsm over the pack and got behind it. I was prone and had a great rest. Winds were mostly calm with a slight breeze coming from the right. It was a good rest, and I had calm animals feeding in front of me. I decided I was going to take the shot.

I dialed the Leupold VX3 scope to 10x and adjusted the CDS to the 500 yard mark. I took my rest and my buddy knelt beside me and ranged the cow. I waited for her to turn and soon she presented a good shot. I hit but worried about the shot. She ran toward me about 10 yards and turned to look around and see what happened. I shot again and immediately knew that she was hit well. She packed her leg in, reared back and took off down the hill about 20 yards. There she stopped and looked around. I was about to send the next shot when I saw her begin to stumble and down she went.

I was so relieved and watched her in my scope for another 10 minutes or so hoping that she wouldn't get up. She didn't!

So glad i got my tail end off the couch and went up again. That meat is cherished around our house and we look forward to many great meals to come.

I was impressed with the gun again and continue to be impressed with the 200 grain Nosler AccuBond bullets.

I hope you enjoyed coming along on the hunt with me a little.

FH

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 448
Great job. Sometimes those after thought short hunts can be the most rewarding

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congratulations, good shooting and thank you for taking me along on your hunt.. Were you using factory or hand loads? NYDan is considering a 325WSM and I will mention to him that he should read your post.

Congratulations on a great hunt. That was some fine shooting. Did you recover any bullets? Tell us more about your rifle. Is it ported? Tell us about your ammo. Handloads? Factory? What were the wounds like?

Great account, FH. Congratulations on permitting us to accompany you on this hunt.

That kimber in 325 WSM is an excellent all around package. I had one briefly several years ago. It was a great shooter and like all kimber montanas it was a joy to carry.

Loaded with 200 or 220gr bullets it has good power and range. Mine particular liked the 220gr power point load and 200 gr Partition handloads with H4350.

Sadly an unexpected need for a plane ticket forced me to part ways with it. I still think it's the best of the WSM, especially for Alaskan use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thebear_78":3msnynrh said:
I still think it's the best of the WSM, especially for Alaskan use.

I would agree for game here as well.

Congrats on this thread as well........

It appears that I have "double posted" this topic somehow. I am so sorry.

Anyway, I have only handloaded for this rifle. I can't see spending $60-$80/box for ammo. Not when I can make good loads on my own.

Load is 200 grain AccuBond, Winchester brass, WLRM primer and RS Big Game powder. Consistently shoots 1/2"-3/4" groups if I do my job proper at the bench. Chronograph says it is going about 2875 fps. This is only the second animal I have shot with this rifle. Both of them were elk and both went down without a lot of "fan fare".

I did recover one bullet. It was from the first shot and we were quite surprised. The first shot, she was quartering away at a bit steeper angle than I thought. Bullet hit low and traveled along the brisket for about 18". It was found under the hide near where the bottom of the neck joins the brisket. We figure that this shot would likely have not killed her. The bullet looks picture perfect and retained about 71.5% of its weight.

The second shot was more broadside. That shot took out the bottom of both lungs and grazed the heart as well. There was about a 3" long gash along the edge of the heart, and it exited out in front of her leg and shoulder on the opposite side. You can see the exit wound in the picture above.

Here is the picture of the bullet.

Thank you for the congratulations!

Attachments

• IMG_1910.JPG
    IMG_1910.JPG
    664.6 KB · Views: 385
  • IMG_1912.JPG
    IMG_1912.JPG
    291.6 KB · Views: 385
  • IMG_1914.JPG
    IMG_1914.JPG
    292.5 KB · Views: 385
That bullet looks good.
Got me thinking a 200gr AB out of 35Whelen would be good also since I'm pushing it faster than you are in the 325 WSM .
Just wondering if 200fps would make a difference over 2800fps for the 225gr.

Back