Got my Antelope.....280 Rem...140gr Accubonds...323 yds!

Aug 2, 2005
I just thought I'd let you guys know that my first Goat hunt was awesome! :grin:

With a load of 54.0 gr of H 4350 behind 140gr Accubonds from my Browning SS Stalker in .280 remington, I was pressed to make a 323yd shot. The rut was in full force near Douglas Wyo and the goats were very skittish.
I hit the Buck quartering away...the bullet struck the last rib...angleing forward, shredding the left lung and aorta...leaving with two mysterious exit holes on either side of the breast bone?
I dont have a good view of the horns which were 6 1/2" at the bases(a tad less than 16" beams) with really nice cutters. It was rough scored at 75".
I found the hunt pretty physically demanding but extremely rewarding!
Thanks to everyone for the info the past several weeks. :grin:
DSC00201.jpg

congratulations on a very nice goat. Nice shot too!

Regards,

JD338

Very nice buck. Do you mean 160grNABs? I'm headed to Montana this weekend w/ my .280 for a couple lopes. I'm using 145gr Speer for this trip. I like the 160gfr bullet for an allround laod & my M70 shoots nice 1" groups w/ the 160gr NP over 57gr IMR7828 for about 2825fps from the 23"bbl.

Awesome. Congrats. I killed 3 Antelope near Rock River WY today. One with the 300 RUM and two wih the 7mm-08..all nosler bullets of course.

That's awesome! Goat (speedgoat) can be physically demanding and painful!. I chased some one year and had to use pliers to pull the cactus out of my knees, quads, stomach and elbows. The worst part was that particular group never gave me a chance but it was a blast !. And I did finally score one in a blizzard.

Back