Grandpa's 99

Polaris

Handloader
Dec 16, 2009
A post in the hunting section got me thinking, this rifle and Gramps deserves it's own story.

Grandpa was a 3rd generation Norwegian farmer in central MN. They were'nt rich growing up, not dirt poor either. In the fall of 1942, he married a Norwegian refugee girl at 19 years old who was being supported by the local Lutheran church. He also took in her 13 year old brother to help work his share of the dairy farm. He had grown up hunting and trapping with his father, they owned one rifle and one shotgun. He had always admired the fancy rifles and shotguns the city men who payed to hunt their woodlot carried, and his wife knew it. In 1943, he volounteered for the Navy as his father and the boy Lars could work the farm and he felt it was his duty to fight. He served on a destroyer in the Pacific until early 1945 and saw action in several engagements. While away, his wife got the idea that their family should never be without a proper rifle after her experience with the Nazis in Norway and asked the city hunter with the Sav 99 about his rifle. It would also be an amazing welcome home present for her young husban. She was assured that it was a great rifle and her husband would love it but they were expensive. She spent the next 2 years squirreling away spare money from eggs, sewing and their springtime sugarbush operation and put together enough to buy the 99 from the city guy (she said he didn't want to sell it but she badgered him into it) 1 month before Grandpa Palmer was discharged. She had told him about her plan so he'd have something to look forward too. Gramps died the year I was born, but I heard many stories about his hunting exploits from my uncles. When my oldest uncle died, lots were drawn for Grandpa's guns and my mom drew first choice. There could be only one, the Sav 99. It spent most of it's life on the family farm shooting deer and the odd coyote, but Grandpa also took it on his dream hunt for Yukon caribou and on a hunt for MN moose. He also carried it with him for a stint driving truck and contract combining on the great plains as "every man should have a rifle out there." according to uncle Harlan. There was a picture of him with a couple of antelope undoubtedly taken with the Savage.
Now it holds a special place in my collection and I still try to get it out in the woods sometimes.

Attachments

• 001 (800x597).jpg
    365 KB · Views: 822
That is a great story. No doubt it has a special place in your home and in your heart.

Sounds like your grandfather found himself a real good wife, great story. What caliber, 300 Savage?

This is the kind of post I really enjoy. Is it a .300 Sav. or .250-3000? Savage 99's are classics, especially the early ones like yours. I own two early featherweights and a .300 similar to your rifle with the longer barrel and schnabel forend.

Thanks for sharing that! The Savage 99 is a wonderful hunting rifle, and yours has all kinds of great family history to go along with it.

I've tried to make sure that my sons know the story of every "family" gun... In a way those guns help us tell the story of several generations of our families.

Very cool, and I hope you get out and shoot it too, and even hunt with it.

Guy

I have one in .308 win that was given to me after my Brother in Law passed away. The stock was cracked on both sides of the tang which I'm told is the weakest point and I have cut out and filled these cracks with accurglass to repair and hope to make it stronger. I don't know when it was made but it has the schnable for arm, steel butt plate, 24" barrel and Marble flip down Buck Horn rear sight. The bore is perfect so it should shoot good. I'm guessing late 50's or early 60's on the manufacture.

.300 sav. 150 mag tip over a mid charge of 4064 is standard fare.

Rear sight was irreparably damaged when I inherited it so I replaced it with the Marbles long full buckhorn. My rotten cousin drilled and tapped it at some point and probably wrecked the original sight too. He was def. responsible for the couple of rust spots, but I've got it back to operating condition and she shoots plenty fine still. An added update, one of the city men who hunted the family farm in that era was a Pillsbury... as in the Pillsburys. Might have been his rifle.

Very cool story. I have my Grandpas M99 300 Savage as well. He also bought his when he returned from the Army Air Corps as a B24 pilot. I haven't laid my hands back on the rifle yet, but its actually at my cousins house in Minnesota. Be fun to make up some loads for it. Shot a couple deer with it as a young hunter. Love the 300 Savage!

SJB358":1eu5iq2l said:
Very cool story. I have my Grandpas M99 300 Savage as well. He also bought his when he returned from the Army Air Corps as a B24 pilot. I haven't laid my hands back on the rifle yet, but its actually at my cousins house in Minnesota. Be fun to make up some loads for it. Shot a couple deer with it as a young hunter. Love the 300 Savage!
150 grains over 4064 seem to be the sweet spot. Mine doesn't feed well with very pointy spitzers. Rem core-lokt or Speer Mag Tip seem to function the best. The 150 gr 30-30 deep curl should be a fine bullet also. Bought some of those by accident (poor description on sellers website). Figured I'd rather just use them up for something than try to send them back.

Nice classic rifle.

Thanks for sharing.

I always had a"thing" for the M1895 and the M1899 with 26" Oct in any of the old classic cartridges.
I know the .38-55cal is very attractive to collectors, but for me a .25-35wcf would be just as fine.

Great story and cool rifle, thanks for sharing. My mom was born and raised in Minnesota. I remember my grandpa telling me he used a 44-40 lever action for deer hunting back there when he was young. My cousin some how ended up with the rifle, was supposed to go to me and i have no idea where it is now, wish I did.

Any time you see a well used vintage rifle at a gunshow or shop, makes you wonder who's treasured family heirloom that used to be before some odd cousin got broke and pawned it. All we can do is give them a good home. Glad I got mine, but the Nambu he brought back and the 1880's single action army he traded a cow for disappeared.

Its rifles like these which tell a thousand stories with merely one picture, or even just holding it and bringing the sights up to your eye and the stock comfortably up to your shoulder. If a man has a rifle like this once in a lifetime he is lucky. I too have a pair of old Savage 99 rifles which I dote on. One of them is a 300 Savage. They're just another vision of the past and testament of how "they dont make em like they used to."

If I was to begin collecting firearms, purely for the sake of collecting them, Savage 99s and Winchester 70s would be my forte. Bar none they are the handsomest working mans rifles ever conceived.

I had a few in 300 savage and 308 win. Great rifles.

Back