GREAT FALLS, MONTANA

Suspect the BaseExchange sells licenses so you avoid the hassle of going down town and explaining....you will likely have to drive a bit to get to the hunting you want...I was discharged from Malmstrom in 1971...grand country but when they say big sky they ain't lying...

I know what ya mean by big sky. We have places up here that make their own dang weather patterns.

Hey Whelenator, Hope you enjoy Montana. I just had one question/observation: Can you legally transport your handguns thru Canada? I thought they had some pretty strict rules about that. Would hate to see you get hassled or lose part of your collection at the border. Just thought you might want to check it out to make sure you won't be in violation of any silly local (or loco) laws.
I am planning to visit some family farm ground West of Havre and shoot some gophers this spring. Maybe return in the fall if there are any deer on the place. (It is near a wide spot in the road called Inverness) I am going to talk to the farmer that leases the ground to see what he has to say. Maybe I can even get a landowner tag to remove pest deer!

Yes, you can transport handguns through Canada. They have a website with all their restricted and prohibited weapons listed on it and even the forms you can fill out. A friend of mine in 2002 brought a Les Baer 45, 4 inch gun through down to Carolina. He just got back up here last October, and transported that same pistol, plus about 6 other weapons through with NO HASSLE. As a matter of fact, Canada was nicer to him than the guys on the Montana side was. Another friend of mine went through in 2002, with 18 guns, including 2 Mini-14's, and a 870 with 18 inch slug barrel, side saddle and fully loaded and they gave him no troubles. Now, some things have changed since, but I plan on calling them and seeing if anything meaningful will apply to my trip through. Here's the site:

http://www.cfc-cafc.gc.ca/default_e.asp

Back