Grizzly Mount ?

lefty315":toaidhxw said:
Guy Miner":toaidhxw said:
lefty315":toaidhxw said:
DO IT!!!!

Do what you Crazy Jarhead? :grin:

Being redundant there I know...

Guy

I say get it mounted, but yes that's a ton of money. I would at least have it soft tanned so you could hang it over the back of a sofa or railing. I wouldn't sell it though, such a great way to bring back the memory of your hunt when you can put your hands on it.

I am completely with Lefty here. I have some mounted animals, moose, bull elk, mule deer, whitetail and some rugs and soft tans (elk, coyotes, black bear), but my step father is a taxidermist, so he insisted on doing them.

I am not sure what shipping would be on your bear, but I could talk to pops about doing them for you as well. He would go nuts do work on such a beautiful bear. To a taxidermist, they really enjoy working on animals they don't see all the time, so lions, elk, and grizzly are usually a pleasure for them to work on.

At a minimum, a soft tanned hide can be hung or draped in alot of places and not take up a huge amount of room.

I have no answer here, while that mount is great, it is a lot of money and do you have a place in your house for it. That is a big bear I don't even know where to put a rug that size in my house.
You do have a good problem to solve but you bagged a Great Trophy.

Canvas prints are very nice for little money.

That is a very nice griz, I think you would regret not getting a nice rug made.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guy, I am completely in the other direction. The nicer the hide the more money we can sell it for. A;though we use some hides for different things, we sell most of what we hunt and trap and we sell or use 100% of what we hunt and trap. However if your going ti do something with it, it would be wiser and cheaper to just make it into a rug that will allow you too put it on the floor, wall, or on the back of a sofa. A rug will also take up less room. I also think if you ever tire of it, you will be able to sell a rug and recover your cost and I doubt you could do that with a full mount. I would sell it and use the money to fund a trip hunting Caribou with Dr Mike or Hodgeman, goats with Gerry, or a coastal grizzly hunt with Bear78.

Guy, I would do the rug and put it on a wall if you have room, we have a black bear on the den wall and it really looks nice that way, much better than on the floor. You could use the $4000 difference to do another hunt of some sort.

69gto":d4tovu6v said:
Guy, I would do the rug and put it on a wall if you have room, we have a black bear on the den wall and it really looks nice that way, much better than on the floor. You could use the $4000 difference to do another hunt of some sort.

I like the way you roll!

Cheyenne, you would be blown away for how much quality full mounts of griz and even deer go for. It is INSANE.

Scotty, I stand corrected. I knew the cost of getting a full mount done but was not aware that the resell value of the mount was that good. If I understand you correctly your saying Guy could have his bear fully mounted and then resell it for more money. If that is the case then of course I would do it, if I was him. I would have it done and then resell it and take another hunting trip. Or If nothing else whatever he makes on the sale will certainly pay off all his expenses on his past trip. I have taken several classes, some accredited and some "handed down", but maybe I should quit making mocassins and start making mounts in my spare time.

I keep waiting for the regulations to change which allow Polar Bear hides to ship to the U.S. We have a few in storage, waiting, praying ------

There is a lucrative market for leasing mounts. I know a taxidermist who buys bear hides and makes rugs and full mounts. He then leases them monthly to different retail and private offices.

Thebear_78":3442vihk said:
There is a lucrative market for leasing mounts. I know a taxidermist who buys bear hides and makes rugs and full mounts. He then leases them monthly to different retail and private offices.

My pops does the same thing. Mt Lions, griz, black bear, stuff like that is interesting for folks to look at.

Cheyenne, taxidermy is a decent way to make some extra money. My step father has been doing it for about 25 years or so and does excellent work in my opinion. I actually don't really care too much for mounting most things, but some of them are pretty danged cool to look at. If I score a good bull this Fall I may consider it as well.

Scotty, we have friend's in B.C. and one in the Northwest Territories that are in the business and they stay pretty darn busy. I think the last time I spoke with them they were a year out on mounts and rugs. They both make a good living and are both dependent as all get out. I did some work for and with them and of course we do a lot of work for ourselves, but I never enjoyed being inside that much, so until I reach Dr Mike and April's age and can no longer get out of the house, I probably will continue to work in the field in one way or another. But it definitely is something I might consider doing when the outside work is not enjoyable to me any longer or maybe not even possible.

At this time everything we harvest is used or sold. It is odd to me that someone would buy a mount, that they did not harvest. I can understand and have seen mounts leased or rented by business for conventions, etc.

You have several wall hangers, etc. do you have a really large home or large man cave in your home ?

Someone asked earlier about shipping mounts. I know that you can ship everything that you harvest in Canada to the states except Polar Bear. And one state ( California ) does not allow cougars or black bears to be shipped into the state from Canada, or at least they didn't at one time, I believe, but I have not kept up on all that.

ps---Scotty, did you read about the sniper from Canada that hit a ISIS terrorist at 2.2 miles. I think he was using a 50 cal

There is no way I would keep something that valuable "For The Memories" if I could sell it and go make more memories. I think I hear him say the value is in the memories.

In fact, if there was a good charity to give it to, I would consider that, because it would just add intrinsic value to my memory..

This is especially true when there is no really good way to to enjoy a giant mount or rug. The skull, claws, etc. I could see keeping.

But, those beautiful pictures of the hunt alone would be good enough for me.

Personally, I would put up a picture before any mount, but that is me.

I am much closer to Cheyenne on the scale of practicality.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Here's my thoughts Guy.

Pictures: I think you should take some of these pictures to a professional and have a couple blown up and professionally mounted and framed. I mean something like an 11x14 picture, something along those lines. They would look very nice on the wall. I would take the time to organize and put these pictures onto a CD with the type of music that you would enjoy, or have someone do it for you so you can watch this down the road for years to come. I bet your two son's would also love to have a copy for each of them.

Pictures are probably the best way to honor the animals and have something that you can treasure forever. Again taking the time to print out all of your pictures from the time your Jeep was loaded to the gills and you started your journey, to the trip up, the hunt to include all aspects of that from camp fun to getting your animals, then the trip back home should be printed up in 4x6" pictures and put into REALLY NICE photo albums. I think you will find yourself pulling these out and looking at them and showing them to friends and family a lot.

Skulls: I would have the skulls cleaned and bleached for display. The skull hooker is a neat way to display them and they look really sharp. What's nice about this is that they are adjustable and you can turn the skulls for different locations and they are very attractive. They also have a skull hooker tree now which is pretty cool. You could have your black bear, wolf, and your huge grizzly all on the same tree which would be way cool!

https://www.skullhooker.com/shop/

Rugs: Yes it would be awesome to have that bear life sized and mounted, but man it would be expensive. You would need a place to put it where it could be appreciated and not look like it was shoe-horned into a corner someplace. A rug is a very practical alternative.

Wolf - I would rug him and display him as you stated or hang him on the wall. He will look very nice there for all to see and to share. When the rug is finished you will be glad that you did it!

Bear - Oh my he will make a great rug that would look incredible hanging on a wall in your home. If you can't quite afford that right now, at least have the hide tanned and you could hang him on a nail from his nose in a room which would look very sharp too. Later down the road he can always be rugged. Like others have suggested after he's rugged you could sell him for a very nice amount and fund some more adventures and you will always have the CD's with the pictures set to music, the picture albums, and the skull nicely displayed.

What an awesome quandary to have!

David

I think I agree with Hereinaz, Dr Mike, Rodger, Cheyenne and David.

Any way I would use the money for another trip, before I would spend the money for a mount. I would sell the hide and start planning your next trip today.

You can look at that rug or look at a new beautiful location in the world, hunt still another animal you have not hunted before, meet and hunt with different people. But it is your hide and money, you get to choose.

Cheyenne, you can only hope you are still moving around as well as Dr Mike and I are at our age. And, speaking for myself only, I literally live outdoors 24/7m just on an ocean instead of the frozen North. Dr Mike is whippersnapper still a good word ? lol

I did read about the sniper---now that was a looooong shot, he probably was not using a 30-06.

o.k. enough of this---what is your decision Guy ?

I would tan them both then if you decide you could have them rugged at a later date.
Pictures are great and have many of them but would love to have that bear hide around as well. Well remembering or talking about the hunt its nice to have it there. My eye is drawing more to the hide hanging there more then the picture plus you can touch the hide or claws etc .
If pictures are a good enough memory then don't even bother shooting them go along with someone else on the hunt you pack the camera. I haven't shot anything in 17 years but am hunting all the time. Bottom line is it is your choice, on what it means to you.

I'm really not that much of a trophy guy. There are a few sets of mule deer antlers on the wall, a good 6x6 elk out in the garage waiting patiently for me to finish painting the interior of the house. I've got one nice chocolate bear rug. A few skulls on the bookshelf.

At this point I'm thinking:

Both skulls on the bookshelf with my existing black bear skull.

Tanned wolf pelt hanging on the fireplace.

Lots of photos of the grizzly hunt. Will probably find somewhere else for the hide to be displayed. Mama kind of wants it though, so we will see.

Guy

Back