Group size

old #7

Handloader
Sep 9, 2006
What is your acceptable group size out of any major manufactured rifle?
If you buy a factory rifle and "tinker" with it. At what point do you say this is a good or bad rilfe.
Target range is 100 yds.
Lets say you have shot multiple groups with different loads through the rifle. What group size is acceptable to you and for what purpose.
The purpose, I think, may be just as important as the acceptable group size.

I expect any rifle, regardless of purpose, to shoot within an inch. But I would be proud to see .5 .
Is that too picky? Some times I wonder.

I think in this day and age with the quality of components (brass bullets powder primers ect.) you should be able to get 1" with handloads for a big game rifle.For a varmint rifle I don't think .5" is unreasonable.With 3 shot groups btw.

But I am sure a 1.5" rifle would be perfectly fine for big game. :)

With a new rifle out of the box, I like to see 1.5" groups with factory loads. I then am sure that I can get it under an inch with reloads. If I can not get a rifle under 1", it really bugs me. 1" is ok, but .5 is what I am working for in a hunting rifle.

I bought a Ruger Mk II in 25-06 (24" barrel) and I was getting 3+" groups at a 100 and the groups walked all over the paper. I was mad and did not care if I ruined the gun. At this point, I took the dremel and removed the pressure block of wood under the barrel. I also then found that the stock was twisted and had to take a lot of wood out of the right side of the stock. I must have assembled the gun 6 or 7 times before I got the stock away from the barrel on the right side. My groups went down to about 1.5" and were consistant. I then tested the trigger and found that the factory set it to 7 lbs 13 ozs. I installed a Timmey and WOW!, I fixed the gun. I am now disappointed if I do not shoot at least one clover leaf group at 100 when I have the gun out.

The moral of the story is that if you do get a lemon it give you a chance to tinker. I learned a lot about the rifle and am proud of the gun. I would kinda like to get another "problem rifle" for something to do. kinda :?

For years I have felt that if I couldn't get 1", I would not be happy.
Every M700 I have owned has done that or better with the right load.
My current battery will do .5" or better on good days.

JD338

I like to see factory loads group around an inch at 100 yards. my Remington M700 7mm shoots Remington 150s Core-lokt just under an inch with 160 ab going under a half inch and my grandpas old Husqvarna in 270 shoots the Core-lokts around an inch. I like to see all my bolt guns to shoot reloads between .5 to 1.0 at 100 yards.

Dcopp. I can relate to your experience. Anymore I won't even take a new rifle to the range until I've free floated the barrel, and adjusted the trigger.

Antelope_Sniper":1k318c5l said:
Dcopp. I can relate to your experience. Anymore I won't even take a new rifle to the range until I've free floated the barrel, and adjusted the trigger.

I agree, i have doing just that for years. I float the barrel, bed the action an adjust or replace the trigger.
Now I'm ready for some serious reloads and testing. With today's quality of the bullets and barrels most factory guns can be made to shoot pretty darn good. Some will even rival a custom barrel, not many, but some will.

For me my standards are:

Big game rifle....under 3/4"

varmint rifle.......under 1/2"

I use to worry about achieving such results but no more! That is because I own Savages! :lol:

POP":2za1o1c7 said:
For me my standards are:

I use to worry about achieving such results but no more! That is because I own Savages! :lol:

Pop, I've got to try a Savage, got a stainless 7 mag located with a walnut stock.

6ppcar":3rm1u25q said:
POP":3rm1u25q said:
For me my standards are:

Pop, I've got to try a Savage, got a stainless 7 mag located with a walnut stock.

Go for it! You will not be sorry!

My Savage in 30-06 is a really good shooter like POPs. I get .345 at 100 yards with Bergers and just slightly larger with Accubonds.

Corey

I would agree. for me 1 inch it the least I would settle for off of the bench. I am not happy until I get 3/4" out of a typical hunting caliber and 1/2" or less with a varmint caliber.

Long

Now why would I need a custom-very high dollar rifle- when I get this kind of accuracy from my factory guns?

Long

3/4" if the round has to magazine, .5" if I load/shoot one at a time. I only shoot varmints & paper using factory rifles, but can almost always meet this standard.

Back