H.S. Precision Stocks

grry10

Handloader
Dec 7, 2007
I have a 700 LA and am thinking about using it it to build a 6.5-06 with a 25" fluted heavy sporter moly barrel. I'm looking at using a synthetic stock (possibly an H.S. Precision). I would like some feedback on H.S. Precision stocks as I have no experience other then I saw one on a rifle and liked the looks and feel. The owner of that rifle was talking it up but he also had the rifle for sale, so I took that with a grain of salt. :?:

Grry10,

I had an HS Precision, and didn't care for it. The recoil was significantly more than the factory stock, and significantly more than the McMillan it's in now.

I suspect the recoil pad played a role, as it was hard as a rock. The other factor was the comb--I figured out I don't like a raised comb from that stock.

However, the rifle shot much better with the HS than it did with the factory stock. And the feel was good. Inletting was clean, no issues with the action fitting.

Given the choice, I would get the Bell and Carlson before the HS and save he extra $100, or pony up another $150 for a McMillan. But that's just me. My boss, who shoots a lot also, really likes his HS.

v/r
Joel

HS Precision stocks are excellent. It's up there in quality with other high end synthetics stock like the Bell and Carlson, MPI and even McMillan. As a matter of fact I like the feel of HS better than McMillan.

I own a couple of Chet Browns, a McMillian, a B&C, and the H-S. I have no problem with the quality of any of them. Whatever feels the most comfortable for you is your best choice. I am lucky in that the standard stock LOP an drop were made for me so other than the palm swell most work OK,

I too own several "after market " stocks. I have one Bell and Carlson, two McMillans, and three H-S Precision stocks. The H-S stocks are my favorites.

The one on my Remington Model 700 Classic in 300 Wby is a fine example. I really like the feel of the thing and the looks (it is what they call SAND color). Twice now I have hunted in New Mexico for elk in pouring rain with intermittent snow. Both times I collected my elk with no problem, the second being over 400 yards. Both times I came home and took the rifle out of the stock to really clean it good. Both times I took it to the range to check and the POI had not changed one bit.

I use H-S stocks on some of my pistols that I use in IHMSA competition and they are great. If you look up and down the range at these shoots you will see LOTS of H-S stocks.

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=18098

This is the only HS I have. It is their A-2 in matte black and I had the red webbing done. Shoots lights out, and fits really well in my hands. I would not shy away from them if they have what you are looking for. I have two McMillans that I really like as well. I also have a B&C on my 270 WSM. I like it, but not as much as the McMillan or HS.

grry10":j5hyqhxx said:
I have a 700 LA and am thinking about using it it to build a 6.5-06 with a 25" fluted heavy sporter moly barrel. I'm looking at using a synthetic stock (possibly an H.S. Precision). I would like some feedback on H.S. Precision stocks as I have no experience other then I saw one on a rifle and liked the looks and feel. The owner of that rifle was talking it up but he also had the rifle for sale, so I took that with a grain of salt. :?:

HS is easily the worst of the mainstream handles,both Aftermarket and OEM. Their ergo's are horrid to boot.

Why the heavy contour and why a blued tube?

Back