H4831

I've used that combo in the past, 180's, I'd have to look up the exact charge, I had good results with it and Accubonds.

H-4831 is the most accurate powder in my 300 Weatherby. I load it to 81.5gn (Hodgdon max) with 180gn Hornady Interlocks and it is pure death on deer, even at 530 yards.

Did you get good velocities in your weatherby? I have tried it a while back in a couple rifles and got good accuracy but slower speeds

I'm using imr4831 with 165gn seirra gameking hpbt and shoot .5 three shot group @100 yards

Horsethief":3untz4jd said:
H-4831 is the most accurate powder in my 300 Weatherby. I load it to 81.5gn (Hodgdon max) with 180gn Hornady Interlocks and it is pure death on deer, even at 530 yards.

A man I have known for many years shoots this load for moose in a Rem 700 Classic although I think he is at 83 gr. The Hornady wouldn't have been my first choice for moose but he has taken quite a few over the years without any trouble.

Can't see why H 4831 wouldn't be a top choice in the slightly smaller 300 Win Mag as well.

H4831 works well in the 300 win mag. Killed several Elk with the 200gr Partition and H4831. Lighter bullets also work well.

I hope to try it with 180 grand slams if Rl25 doesn't work out. I also might try it with the 165gr Pt.

243win":1izgsc9s said:
I hope to try it with 180 grand slams if Rl25 doesn't work out. I also might try it with the 165gr Pt.

Don't over look RL22 in the 300 win, it's a great combo.

Rl 22 seems to be a favorite for the 300 win. I haven't seen it on shelves in quite some time though

243win":1kqcxu72 said:
Did you get good velocities in your weatherby? I have tried it a while back in a couple rifles and got good accuracy but slower speeds

Using an older chronograph my shot group averaged 3060fps. What was impressive about this group was the tiny amount of space between holes. I was trying NOT to hit the chronograph and the small group was a good thing to see.

Attachments

• H-4831 grouping.jpg
    H-4831 grouping.jpg
    562 KB · Views: 2,069
243win":v1k1oagw said:
How well did the interlocks hold together at that speed?

The Interlock was stellar vs a White tail buck at 335yds. The bullet destroyed the L front shoulder joint, then deflected down and and took out the lungs. I'm not sure how much of the bullet came apart but there was a small exit wound.

The next buck was a much bigger Mulie hit from a longer distance. The bullet never exited, but the tissue destruction was extensive and lethal. I was surprised how much the bullet broke up after such a long shot. There was plenty of fragmentation.

Both times one bullet did the job.

243win":faphpq4r said:
How well did the interlocks hold together at that speed?

The Interlock was stellar vs a White tail buck at 335yds. The bullet destroyed the L front shoulder joint, then deflected down and and took out the lungs. I'm not sure how much of the bullet came apart but there was a small exit wound.

The next buck was a much bigger Mulie hit from a longer distance. The bullet never exited, but the tissue destruction was extensive and lethal. I was surprised how much the bullet broke up after such a long shot. There was plenty of fragmentation.

Both times one bullet did the job.

Accuracy with the 180gn flat bottom and boat tailed bullets is equal. As long as you're not zipping bast 600yds you can use the flat base Interlocks with no problem.

Nice shooting. I've had good results with 75.0 grs RL22 and a 180 gr bullet.

JD338

For 180,s I use an old school load from sierra manual no.2. It lists 78 grains max with H4831. With either a 180 PT or the sierra 180 boat tail velocity is over 3100 with excellent accuracy in my 700BDL. The sierra manual listed 3000. This is one of the very few times I ended up with higher velocity than the book listed. Not long ago I shot a near one holer with 75 grains of RL-22 and the 180 AB. I did not chrony the load but dang it was accurate.

I used H4831 in the 300 winmag back in the late 90's with the 180 XBT and with the 180 NBT. I forget the charge right now, but I remember getting a solid 3050 fps from a 24" barreled Classic. I then went to 76gr R22 with the same bullet and it was 3100 to 3125 and used it a lot. It just depends on the rifle which one it likes best. I have always used Federal 215M primers though for magnums. You can't go wrong with a 300 Winmag and H4831 IMO.

I've got a lot of experience with the .300 and have tried about all the combo's out there. There are only handful I wouldn't go back to. While RL22 shoots amazingly well, I do not recommend it and I will not purchase it again. My personal temp sensitivity tests proved to be unacceptable in my book. Lot to lot variation was extreme, plus, when Alliant's OWN minimum published loads were locking up my bolt, broke an extractor plunger and an extractor and a Jewell trigger in one blow. I lost it. I sent a detailed repots and was informed that they had had several reports of a faster burn rate from other customers (on that lot number) but the product was still within specs, thus, it was my fault. I shoot Hodgdon and IMR exclusively now, I've got nothing but good to say about H1000, H4831, Varget, H4895, IMR4064,IMR4451, RETUMBO, IMR and H4350…..All great powders. I know and respect guys that get awesome results with RL powders. Personally, I will not use them again (RL powders). That sounds dumb, but I refuse to buy RL powders after my experience with them and definitely after my customer service experience. I'd rather spend my money elsewhere. The only rifle I shoot something other than Hodgdon is, is ,y .308 Win.

Back