Hamburger Finger Help

TScottW99

Handloader
Sep 14, 2007
Hey guys. Have hit the range the last two days to shoot my .480ruger some. I love shooting this handgun! Does not matter if I am shooting plated hollow points with Unique or the Hammer of Thor load :lol: with a 275 grain hollow point and H110.

Problem is the 275 grain is making hamburger of my trigger finger. The receiver is smacking it on recoil. Do you think a muzzlebreak would be worth the money and would it help? ( I mean actual hamburger. Have not shot this load in over two months. After four shots yesterday the callous which has formed from this load was knocked off and blood was going everywhere)

I will proably just stick with the Unique load and hunt 70 yards or less with it. I can hit targets at 100 yards with that load but not quite as easy as with the 275 grain gold dot.

Might be better off getting my .260 barrel for those long hunts... grrr

I'll second the shooting gloves, use them from .308 on upon account of the encores kinda sharp edges on the bottom of the frame and sometimes put a bandaid on my trigger finger for added protection when shooting 358 winnie or steyr.

Yeah I tried the band aid yesterday and left the Hammer of Thor at the house. Had some 325 grain Hornady factory loads and decided to kill an air conditioner box at 100 yards.

The band-aid helped but was a bloody mess after 8 shots. I am thinking about sending the barrel to magna-port and buying some shooting gloves. Will come out cheaper then a brake.

My favorite "plinking" load will have to be calmed down. 9.5 grains of Unique and a 325 grain Rainer plated hollow point. My barrel is streaked with copper :x Very accurate load. Before shooting Thor the other morning I shot a 3 shot group that was one hole at 50 yards.

Are there sharp edges that are causing your finger to be messed up? Is the gun stainless? I had to smooth out the trigger on my GP100 becasue it had sharp edges and gave me a blood blister on my trigger finger. It was very simple to do this. I touched it lightly with a dremel and LOW speed, then finished it with some 220grit, then some steel wool (0000) I think. You could do this on the underside of the frame at teh trigger, or on the trigger, or on the trigger guard. Where is it exactly you are talking about?

Ohhh, I think you are talking about an Encore...Well maybe that wasn't a total waste of time anyways. :oops:

LOL, yeah sorry. It's a T/C Encore. I have shot this barrel on two frames, one a stainless pro-hunter and a regular blued one. With the heavy load I get it in the same place.

I put a Pachmyer grip on it since the last time I shot. Much better trigger control but my trigger finger is still getting slammed against the receiver.

Yes a muzzle break will help significantly. I am not a fan of muzzle breaks on most firearms, but did put one on a .30 Herrett Contender (10" barrel). The improvement was remarkable.

You should buy my braked 7-08 barrel in the classifieds to help you with your problem :) just kidding, but someone should buy it LOL

Sounds like my .454 shooting 300 gr. rounds; but, I stop before it gets bloody. I've heard Pacmyer Decelerator grips really help, but haven't tried a pair yet.

Try this: My 500 SW Mag
700 grain T-rex bullets at 1230 fps!

500.jpg

getImage.jpg

Back