Harbor Freight Tummbler

Alderman

Handloader
Apr 5, 2014
I bought a Harbor Freight two drum tumbler and got a chance to try it out this afternoon.
I had some tarnished 257 Roberts brass and a mixture of a few different rifle brass.
I added 1 pound of tumbling media consisting of stainless steel pins and shot.
A bit of water, Dawn and Lemishine and off and running.

Observations:

The drums are just the right size for small batches of brass.

Two hours tumble time and they all came out bright and shiny.

The nut on top of the drum came loose while it was tumbling and allowed it to jam against the motor cover causing the drums to quit turning. I caught that in short order, tightened it a bit more and had no more issues.

The Stainless pins were just the right length to get wedged cross wise in the mouths of the 257 Roberts brass. No issue the larger brass.

I'd read where the motors get hot on these. Perhaps with a bigger load, but it was a little warm, it was nowhere near to what I would call hot.

Will be interesting to see how unit this holds up to occasional use.
I think the results were good but I see this as really doing a good job on dirty, badly tarnished brass. For just putting a bit of shine or removing lube, the vibrating tumbler with dry media works just fine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

:lol: :lol: Got some 50 BMG brass to do have we? Beats doing 'em one at a time with a tooth brush. :) CL

I figure I could do a 5 gal bucket all at one time. Park it outside the garage and let it go for a couple hours.

There is some merit to going big, I would only need one session a year to keep up with my shooting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey, you could always strap a 5 gallon bucket to the rear tire of a truck, back her up, set it in drive and just watch it turn for a few hours. ( voice of experience kind of laughs at it now)

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

Back