Has Anyone Ever Wondered…

Hawk, I love the 270..

I futz around with a PILE of other stuff, but just about nothing I do couldn't be handled with a 270 and a great bullet. Plus, it won't whoop you out from under your hat.

SJB358":d1xgy3ib said:
Hawk, I love the 270..

I futz around with a PILE of other stuff, but just about nothing I do couldn't be handled with a 270 and a great bullet. Plus, it won't whoop you out from under your hat.
I do like a really good cartridge that won’t kick me out from under my hat!
Yeah, I’ve been reading a lot of different writers articles about the .270!
I keep reading the 2 Guy posted! I do like them a lot!

Hawk

Good looking rifle Hawk. Savage is known for being accurate so hope yours follows suite. Hope you still get that Whelen project going just for kicks, lol. Dan.

wvbuckbuster":n6j81bdk said:
Good looking rifle Hawk. Savage is known for being accurate so hope yours follows suite. Hope you still get that Whelen project going just for kicks, lol. Dan.
Yes, I have the pieces and the tools in now to get rolling on the 35 Whelen.

Thank you for the compliment!

Hawk

We all have more rifles than we need (don’t tell the better halves) but if I was put in a headlock a good 270 with a great bullet is all I need.

SJB358":qnt0168h said:
We all have more rifles than we need (don’t tell the better halves) but if I was put in a headlock a good 270 with a great bullet is all I need.
No doubt! My better half doesn’t know even half about what I have!
Yeah, between the .270, or .30-06, I think if I had to choose 2 rifles, they would be it.
But I know I would probably use the .270 way more.

Hawk

lhsako":3asm5bg9 said:
Looks like my old 788 rem !....lol Birch stock i believe.
Yes, it is a stained birch stock.
Certainly not top of the line, but quite sturdy and useable!

Hawk

"Also, with the performance on tap that this cartridge has, I don't know why more rifle makers don't produce the 270 Winchester with 24" or longer barrels. Most seem to be 22" barrels, which robs a high performance cartridge like this of a bit of velocity. Enough to matter? Maybe not, but... one doesn't buy a 270 for low velocity. :)

I hope folks will enjoy the articles. They're good, by well-respected writers."

IIRC, the pre-64 Winchesters were 24" with the then Featherweight being 22". I think it stayed that way until the post 64s. The last .270 I bought was a New haven XTR push feed. It came with a 24" barrel and a McMillan stock from the factory no less. I also have a couple of FN Mauser 270s that have 24" barrel. The only other .270 I have is a Ruger #1 with 22" barrel.

Interesting thing about that XTR is I can shoot the same charge of WMR powder with either the Sierra 150 gr. Game King or 150 gr. Nosler Partition and not have to change scope settings. Either load shoots in the .75" on averaged but about .50" apart. If I mix and match, the 6 shots will average 1.5" or slightly less. That one is a keeper. The two FNs shoot about the same with the Sierra load, about .80" on average. The Ruger about 1.25". with the Sierra load.

When I heard Winchester was dropping WMR, I found a place in California that had five 8 pound cans of the stuff. I have a friend pick it all up and we met in Quartzite AZ so I could get the powder and pay him for picking it up. I gave him one of the cans as well. Turns out it works very well in the .270 Win., .280 Rem. and .300 Win. Mag. I still have about a can and a half left. Never could figure out why it didn't work in the 30-06.
Paul B.

Love the 270. Had plenty in the past. All I have now is a 270 bee in the mkv terramark

FOTIS":69j63yrz said:
Love the 270. Had plenty in the past. All I have now is a 270 bee in the mkv terramark
That’s outstanding!

Would you get another “regular” .270 Winchester if you had the chance?

Hawk

It’s hard to beat a 270 that’s for sure. To this day it is what I compare all other whitetail cartridges too. When I had one I was running 130 Hornady interlocks at I believe between 3140-3180 FPS. Using RL22 and I believe H4831. And has been responsible for more one shot drops than any of the other cartridges that ive ever used.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Cleveland48":hp2ngqjc said:
It’s hard to beat a 270 that’s for sure. To this day it is what I compare all other whitetail cartridges too. When I had one I was running 130 Hornady interlocks at I believe between 3140-3180 FPS. Using RL22 and I believe H4831. And has been responsible for more one shot drops than any of the other cartridges that ive ever used.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
That’s outstanding!
Do you know at what distance or distances you have shot them, just curious?
I liked your accounts!

Hawk

Back