have ? about ruger 22 hornets

RogueRiver

Handloader
Mar 13, 2005
might have a chance at a Ruger #3 and or a 77/22 hornet. What are decent prices for each ?

I would love to get the #3, I don't know what the price will be. and I have heard good and bad about the 77/22hornets.

give me your opinions on the 2 rifles. and no I can't afford them both. I just bought my first home so most of my money is now going there. But my 22 hornet I have had since I was 14( got it used) the barrel is starting to go south, rifling is wearing out, I have shot the crap out of it so its time for a new hornet.

I have a M77/22 Hornet and wish I had the Ruger #3 because the clip on the Ruger M77 limits the bullets you can use I like the 40 gr bts but you have to seat them past the ogive for relibile feeding so I use the 35 gr v max wich are short stuby little bullets with a.106 bc and lose a lot of their steam past 150 yards and those 40 gr bts are good out to 250 yards. Thats my only grip about the rifle because does it shoots good.

How come you don't but a new barrel on your old hornet and keep on shooting the crap out of it you could save a little money. I was in the same boat your in not to long ago it sucks not have any gun money :( .

How would the cost of a new rifle compare to having a new barrel put on your existing rifle? I would think that overall, you would probably have a better shooting rifle that you are already familar with.

My hornet is an H&R 157 which is the 158 but with a mannalicher stock. I have searched and searched for a barrel, but I can not find one for the old H&R's. I could rebore it, but then it would not be a hornet.

I go back to when the 222 R. first came out and the Hornet never impressed me. Its a poor case design and lacks power and range should you need it.

Consider reduced loads for a normal sized .224". IMR's 4759 was made for reduced loads and it makes accurate low noise ammo.

IMR #4759 is high bulk as well to fill the case more.

http://www.imrpowder.com/sr4759.html

I have a 22-250 if I really need to reach out, but the problem w/ my rifle is the bore so going to another 224 is not going to fix the problem

Getting back to your original question, of the two I would definately choose the single shot. I just think there are cool as cool can be. I missed my opportunity to pick up Number 1s in 218 Bee and .22 Hornet. Not that I have a problem with the 77/22H. I actually kinda like the Target Grey model, but like you I have heard that the accuracy is not really there consistantly.

we keep bumpin into each other on here, it seems you have taste when it comes to guns. Thanks again

Thanks, but I don't know if I have good taste gun-wise or not. I pretty much like all guns, and if they are slightly offbeat, the more I like them.
Particularly varmint rounds, since you can shoot them in the field more and they are cheaper to feed and more comfortable to shoot. And if they make someone else say, "What the heck?", my day is complete. :)

Back