Have you ever seen this when bullet seating?

Nic_58

Beginner
Jan 25, 2006
Anybody ever get a ring around the ogive of a bullet when seating on a nearly full case of powder. My Redding .223 die is doing this, but the powder load is a nearly compressed load. Just wondering if the extra resistance of the full case of powder is enough to make a ring on the jacket of the bullet where the ogive meets the seating die? Or do I possibly need to readjust my die. I have it backed off one full turn when the ram is in the up position as per Redding's instructions. Can't say as I've ever run into this before!

I've seen tons of those rings. Usually it's just a rough edge on the seating cup. You could possibly take the die apart and somehow sand it a little. I see those rings but they don't bother me. It's just nothing to worry about in my book.

You have polish the seating cup, try some #00 steel wool.

JD338

I have loaded nearly 200 .270 Win Cases in the past two years, and all of the bullets have a ring on them from the die. So far I haven't had any of them fail to expand. All of them except the barnes TSX that is. The ballistic tips and ballistic silvertips are all producing base ball sized exit holes. Personally i wouldn't worry about it. I dont see where it could hurt the performance of the bullet.

When I get that sort of problem with a seating die, I use a spitzer bullet of that caliber, and some 600 grit wet dry. I then rotate the bullet with a little piece of the wet dry to remove the ring. Then, a little polishing compound and it's good to go.

I recently had a very similar problem that even included a metallic popping sound occuring as I would lower the ram, lowering freshly seated bullet/brass combo out of the seating die. I found out that when seating on top of compressed powder charges, the seating cup was not only leaving the ring on the bullets ogive, it also was "grabbing" the bullet tight enough that the sping loaded Forster Ultra Seater stem was releasing the bullet violently enough the OAL was varying.

I know I didn't explain that very well, suffice to say it was quite bothersome.

I subsequenlty tried 600 grit wet sandpaper and wedged a small enough piece into the seater cup, chucked the seater stem into a hand power drill and inserted an appropriate bullet into the cup/sandpaper combo by hand.

That roughed up the seater cup enough it would actually "grab" the bullet and pull it back out of the case neck. At which point I had to unscrew the seater stem out of the die to force the bullet free from the cup.

So 600 grit was too rough and caused the cup to grab the bullet. I then went to 1500 grit wet and "ta-dah"! Problem fixed.

Back