Good rifles make it easy.

ShadeTree

Handloader
Mar 6, 2017
Put a set of Warne rings and a Leupold VX Freedom 2-7 on my 760 in 35 Remington. Loaded up 12 shells. Took 3 of them just to get on paper at 25 yds, a 4th to get close to being where it should on bullseye. Shot 2 more at 50 to get it dialed in. That left 6 to shoot at 100 yds but I know how this load and this rifle shoots so when the 3 went where I wanted, I quit. 3/4" high at 100, should be set.

I contemplate at times trying a different powder with this setup because it's somewhat compressed, and I'm not a fan of compressed loads. Add to that the fact that Lee seating dies with their floating seating stem do not like compressed loads. They fight you on it, but the load works so well I hate to mess with it. 2325 average with a 200 gr bullet and consistent. This rifle and load has never thrown a what was that shot, flier. Ever. Makes it hard to mess with.

This was shot with the Remington RN bulk bullets that came out of a 500 piece bulk bag that I bought 200 of off a table early this summer. I thought maybe they wouldn't shoot as well as the RNCL factory bullets that I pull and reload, but appears they shoot as good as what's loaded in the factory ammo.

Load these RN up with 41 grains and at lengths anywhere from 2.470-2.525 and they will shoot anywhere from just under to just over an inch. I shot 1 group down around 1/2" but on average it will shoot just under an inch on most days to 1.25" on the big side.

Edit to add: This load in a 760. I would NOT attempt this load in a 336 lever rifle without advancing with extreme caution. Probably best to say I just wouldn't attempt it.

If it ain't broke...don't fix it!
And you know that it safe in this rifle.
You have better than minute of whitetail/black bear within the effective range of this load.

I love those Remington pumps. I have 4 of them & they're my go to rigs for a whitetail woods rifle.

Cool beans! Whatcha got? I have a 30-06 and a 243 in 7600's, but this 760 in 35 Remington is my favorite. Just like it. Pretty much idiot proof to both load for and shoot.

All 7600s, carbine in 30-06, rifle in 308, 7mm-08 and 35 Whelen. The 06 carbine is the one that sees the most miles in the woods for days of still hunting or late season drives.

Actually, the 7mm-08 is a carbine as well. it started out life with a 22" barrel, but its original owner had it cut back to carbine length

All 7600s, carbine in 30-06, rifle in 308, 7mm-08 and 35 Whelen. The 06 carbine is the one that sees the most miles in the woods for days of still hunting or late season drives.

That's some good ones. Those 06 carbines always seemed like they were in high demand. You got yourself covered with that list.

I traded a partial can of old powder for a box of Sierra 200 RN a while back. Never shot them so might see how they shoot also. Will give me something to work on rifle wise and get some shooting in........getting that time of yr.

I got a Savage 10 Sierra in 7mm-08 that I'd like to work on and get some shooting time in with, but it's at the gunsmith because the second hole up on the rear bridge for the scope base is off alignment from the factory. Discovered that when I broke it down and took off the scope that came on it. Hoping to have that back well before hunting season to work up a good load for it to use as a backup and bad weather rifle.

I traded a partial can of old powder for a box of Sierra 200 RN a while back. Never shot them so might see how they shoot also. Will give me something to work on rifle wise and get some shooting in........getting that time of yr.

I got a Savage 10 Sierra in 7mm-08 that I'd like to work on and get some shooting time in with, but it's at the gunsmith because the second hole up on the rear bridge for the scope base is off alignment from the factory. Discovered that when I broke it down and took off the scope that came on it. Hoping to have that back well before hunting season to work up a good load for it to use as a backup and bad weather rifle.
Try some Big Game or Stabal 6.5. Worst case use some of your H4895 it will work also. Dan.

Try some Big Game or Stabal 6.5. Worst case use some of your H4895 it will work also. Dan.

For the 7-08? I got approximately 4 lbs of 4350 left.........3 of IMR and 1 of H4350. Never shot it in the 7-08 but it's supposed to be the old standby powder for that cartridge. The load I've had good success with using in 7-08 is with Varget..........getting low on that, but a LGS owes me a brick of primers and since I've got plenty of those, I figured I'd stop in and work out a deal where I take my payment in powder instead. They have Varget. (y)

OK Shade.....Im officially not talking to you anymore....six shots to a sub inch group....:mad:(kidding) ;)I've burned through six boxes and not gotten there. I'd guess that the VX Freedom is gonna work out OK. Around any fire that would be a coveted combo. CL

OK Shade.....Im officially not talking to you anymore....six shots to a sub inch group....:mad:(kidding) ;)I've burned through six boxes and not gotten there. I'd guess that the VX Freedom is gonna work out OK. Around any fire that would be a coveted combo. CL

Ha. To be clear that wasn't 6 shots working up a load, just 6 shots to get the scope dialed in. If they're doing what they're supposed to be doing tracking wise, and the scope is mounted level, it goes well. Otherwise not so much.

I love those Remington pumps. I have 4 of them & they're my go to rigs for a whitetail woods rifle.

Responding to CL had me back in this post and I realized I forgot about 1 when I said I have 3. A predecessor to the 760, 7600's so not the same rifle design, but I have a 141 in 35 Remington that is a good one also. Shoots great. It's handicap some days is me shooting it with iron sights.

Thanks all. As always shooting these rifles is fun stuff. A 43 yr old rifle and bullets that are who knows how old? Some of these old rifles are gems. At least in my eyes anyways.

If that dot represented the center line tight behind a deer's shoulder, it would be 1 precisely killed deer. Unfortunately, they never stand still that long, and try as I might I've never been able to dig around in the leaves and dirt in the woods and come up with sandbags. A good ways off from game time yet but getting the time of yr to start thinking about doing my shooting practicing from field positions.

For the 7-08? I got approximately 4 lbs of 4350 left.........3 of IMR and 1 of H4350. Never shot it in the 7-08 but it's supposed to be the old standby powder for that cartridge. The load I've had good success with using in 7-08 is with Varget..........getting low on that, but a LGS owes me a brick of primers and since I've got plenty of those, I figured I'd stop in and work out a deal where I take my payment in powder instead. They have Varget. (y)
Yeah that 4350 will work also. I used IMR brand with good results. Dan.

Back