Having problems with 140 grain accubonds in a 270

ehunter

Beginner
Mar 16, 2009
I can't get decent groups I can shoot the 130 Hornady interlock no problem and get less than a inch .75 each time some times .5. For the life of me I can not get the AccuBond to do the same. I am currently loading 58.5 grains of H4831. I started low and worked up and down the scale. I have played with the COL till I am going nuts I can only load as long as the magazine and its still in the 1.5 range. Any suggestions. I am trying different brand of primers tomorrow. I had been using WLR and will try some CCI bench rest primers. I will also load some up some H4350 and try them? I may just give up and try some partitions, I need a elk load. I have talked to a ton of guys who are getting good accuracy? GRR

You may just have to face the fact that your rifle does not like Accubonds.

I have had mixed results ever since the Accubonds came out. Some rifles really like them, some do not.

When the 225 grain .338 caliber Accubonds came out I was totally dissapointed. I tried them in no less than five different .338 caliber rifles
(338 Win Mags and 340 Wby Mags) they all shot like crap. Then, on a lark, I put them in a buddies 338 RUM and they shot the smallest little groups you can imagine. I shot two groups the same afternoon in that gun with 225 Accubonds that were well under a half inch!

My 300 Weatherby does not shoot Accubonds worth a darn while my 300 WSM shoots them just great.

While the AccuBond has a great ballistic coefficient and a pretty good reputation, I would move on and try another bullet. If your gun will shoot the Partition, you will just be that much better off, I think. For that matter, the Hornady bullet is not going to bounce off an elk, if that is what your gun likes, it will work.

You might also try pushing on up to 60gr of H4831. Just a few weeks ago I worked on a buddies 270 and 60gr of H4831 shot really well, CCI250 Mag primers, Winchesters Cases. It was a Barnes bullet, but the point is, it didn't really start to shoot until hitting near max loads.

Plus, their right about the HDY's, they are not going to bounce off an elk. Good luck with it, I know I have a few that are frustrating to me also. Scotty

You know one thing, your rifle is a shooter. But something that comes to mind, the Hornady Interlock is a grooved bullet isn’t it? I’m just wondering if you are crimping. I wouldn’t if I were you. Not with your bolt gun in a 270 win.

If it doesn’t work out with the AB, maybe try the H. Interbond. I know I like to shop Oregon first, but if your looking for a stout polymer tip bonded bullet, I wouldn’t be afraid of going with Hornady.

Thanks guys I am off to the range to give it one more try. No I am not crimping and I have tried 60 grains but it was not as good as the 58.5 that seemed to give me the best of the groups. I am going to try seating a little shorter today then I was and I am going to try two different types of Primmer and finaly I will try some 4350. Yep I am partial to Nosler since they are a local company and I will try the Partition next if today is a bust. I admit to being a homer boy from Oregon.

Try some cci 200 primers if you can get them.
That seem to be the secret in the .270 win with H4831.
I've also had good luck with WMRP's.

Also, if the AB's won't shoot, try the BT's.

What powders do you have on hand? I know it sucks to buy a 1lb jug of powder only to find out it doesn't work for you, but that's the way it is. Here's a list of powders that will work for the 270 Win and 140gn bullets:

H1000, IMR7828, Supreme 780, H & IMR 4831, 4350, Hybrid 100V, H414, Win 760, Varget, IMR 4320, IMR 4064, H & IMR 4895, RL-22, RL-15, AA3100.

Good luck and keep us informed on your progress. Here's some link for load info:

http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp

http://www.nosler.com/index.php?p=15&b=270cal&s=90

Are you shooting elk with the load or prarrie dogs. I think 1.5 inch will do just fine on elk and deer if thats the bullet you want to use. That interbond at your velocity will flatten any elk also. But if your 270 doubles for a goffer gun keep burning powder and time, if not start being positive about your load and move on to more pressing issues like will your wife let you go hunt when you want and can you get time to fish this summer

ya sorry i misread your question in the first place on that hornady bullet. i have worked up this load with a 130gr sst in the 270 and a friend uses the interbond with the same powder charge, case and primer with nearly the same results. i use the WLR, a remington case, and 55grs. of IMR4831 with the 130gr. sst. and in 3 guns from different makers i have shot .75 groups and under and .35 with a savage. hope it helps

i used to use IMR 4350 like 53 gr and 130gr BT CCI 200 any case. it was a good load on paper and real long shots on deer. but anything 100 yards or closer that bullet went off like a bomb and the clean up was alot of work. overall IMR 4350 and 4831 are very good powders for that sized case.

Back