Heading To Southeast Ohio With My Boomer

Joec7651

Handloader
Apr 7, 2019
I really love these late season hunts when it’s very cold and deep into winter. I’m heading out in the morning for some late season hunting with my round ball rifle.

Customized it myself and I have to say it’s one of my favorites. Joe Williams built a cut rifled 36” 54 caliber round ball barrel for me (God rest his soul) from 4150 steel, with a 1:79 twist at 1” across the flats, there have been a long list of other mods I’ve done to it as well. The wood and brass is all that remains of the original rifle, and even at that I silver plated all the brass. REALLY accurate to 100 yards with a heavy charge of 3f Olde Eynsford And Lyman sight. The 3 shot group in the center was the last group for sighting in when originally built. The fired patches are for size perspective of the group. It’s gotten better after a few years.

Its been a productive fall, but I still have a little space left in the freezer that I still need to fill. If anyone is going to be in the woods around Southeast Ohio let me know and maybe we could tag team it. I always have a spot that you can hunt.

1B06C076-195E-435F-81AF-BD83795FC6CC.jpegE65D25A8-B265-4342-8A07-DF3327C9A2E5.jpeg

Last edited:
Nice rifle. Best of luck filling your tag

JD338

Joe, I grew up in eastern Ohio; Jefferson County, to be exact. Whereabouts are you going to be hunting?

Beautiful rifle, BTW. Do you carry it around much, or mostly just sit still?

Morgan county yesterday, and Zaleski this evening.

Thank you, it all depends on how the day is going. If I’m seeing deer while still I’ll stay there, but if it’s slow I can cover 5-6 miles in a day with it Slipping through the hills. It’s not a light rifle but it doesn’t bother me one way or the other.

Well, no luck with the muzzleloader. Saw a few but didn’t have a clear shot. I decided Not to pull the trigger.

Nothing wrong with passing when it isn't precisely what you're looking for. The thrill of being there and knowing you could have tagged the animal is priceless--it is it's own reward.

Back