Helene replay of 2022 sort of..

mjcmichigan

Handloader
Dec 26, 2016
Heading to Florida with FIL (87) on Tuesday.
They had had undetermined amount of surge water in their trailer. It was basically flushed in 2022 with rain water after Ian’s wind lifted the roof and 20” of rain fell in the area… this time, ocean surge got the park. We’ve heard 6-18” depending on the setup. If what I see on the siding is a good high water mark, they are probably on the low side of that range.. so will be removing flooring, and drywall this week.. lots of mangrove debris in the yard. Word is there is water and power. After Ian, there was no power and no water/sewer for a bit over a week.. so should be a little more comfortable this time…. I think this permanently cooled my wife’s desire to winter near the water…
Won’t be online for a week or more… wasn’t clear when we’d return…

A bad storm from all reports. Glad you can help your family. Sounds as if they can recover somewhat quickly.

We left Monday 9/30 at 4pm and arrived there on Tuesday about 3pm. Drove through.
His place had 6” of surge inside the whole place. AC was down, so tasked FIL with figuring out the AC and went to work on removing drywall, insulation, molding, cutting out cabinets And flooring. We got AC working for 5 minutes then it quit. Turns out blower motor was submerged and a computer board needed replacing. After that it ran good.

One of the headaches people were having was flooded duct work. The intake is the biggest problem as AC will ice up without air flow in florida humidity. One suggestion was drill a 1/2” hole to let it drain. I eyeballed it and guessed there’d be 100 gallons of water in a 25’ 14” diameter duct.. so imagine being under a trailer and drilling that hole. After it’s dry, they said use a 4” patch and adhesive caulk to close the whole. Easy enough, until you realize it has 4 spots were it was draped over other things like sewer lines…
Cutting to the chase. We got a 12 gallon shop vac with 27’ of 2” hose and sucked the water out. That was This past Friday… there were some other misadventures I’ve omitted….(hint don’t store stuff under your trailer)
Inside temps were hitting 100-105 daily… I was soaking wet by 9:30 each morning and the rest of the day. Over night temps started in the 90’s and dropped into 80’s. This Michigan boy was not in his element.

Sprayed odoban with a 1 gallon sprayer as a fungicide on furniture that looked salvageable, cut out spots etc. I did entire floors and 7” down the walls… I think it’s about 1100 sq ft. I had two gallons, but didn’t use the whole thing. Recommend diluting 7 ounce in a gallon. I used 10 ounces.

We left Sunday at 6pm in a down pour.
With Milton forecasted to hit Tampa, the surge will likely hit south and Englewood would be in the evacuation area.

As I started on this thread. The whole park was hit. They surveyed the 72 unit owners and got a score of 5-50-17.(stay-sell to developers-no reply).

Selling a park means a lot. Breaking up the HOA. All the lots are individually owned, but there is something in the deeds that can compel a minority to go along with the majority… so additional developers are being sought out. They have a big mangrove waterfront on lemon bay with a dock (visible in google maps)(not a marina, but more like a patio where you can watch the sun set.

Also a county official told one of the units all would be condemned and required to comply with all flood zone building requirements (elevation, 160 mph wind proof etc)

I’ll post again after Milton is history, but guessing Milton will move the hardier ones into the sell category… most the ones “staying” are either very capable and determined DIY types or barely hanging on by a thread.. no money and out of options… guessing a couple guys will end up moving in with their kids.

Attachments

• IMG_4166.jpeg
    IMG_4166.jpeg
    946.2 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_4177.jpeg
    IMG_4177.jpeg
    470.5 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_4184.jpeg
    IMG_4184.jpeg
    433.8 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_4191.jpeg
    IMG_4191.jpeg
    506.6 KB · Views: 5
They had some
Monies left over from Ian and threw themselves a Pizza Pity Party. Lots of smiles and laughs. If I had to guess on head count, probably 30+ people, but not 40. Three had Alzheimer’s (easy to see them from those without). The thing about trailer parks is like churches. It’s community. Some of them have been there over 20 years. They’ve done many fun and crazy things together. Helped each other with age related limitations (something men are slower to 1) admit and 2) accept help, but has you’ve preached to your congregations many hands mark the work light.

So while they parted the Pizza Pity Party with sadness, they also have many fond memories that will carry them forward into their new adventures..

They resolved to meet once a year to rekindle their friendships and memories.

Included a phone of 27 of them. I’m not in the photo as I’m not a resident or owner, just a passer-througher…FIL is on far Left.

Attachments

• IMG_4283.jpeg
    IMG_4283.jpeg
    448.3 KB · Views: 5
Back