Help / advice with defective Nosler Accubond bullets

TackDriver284

Handloader
Feb 13, 2016
I opened a box of 160 Nosler Accubonds to do a load work up in my 7 Magnum and to my dismay, all the bullets are terrible, the poly crumbled into powder and are missing from some of the tips of the bullets, so I opened a another box and its the same thing.
Am I going to get these defective bullets replaced by Nosler? I would want two boxes to replace those defective batches I have which is the same lot number. Any advise on how to proceed, thanks.
8WCV2Tg.jpg

v3WtPp6.jpg

koSGVsz.jpg

I had a problem with some older 200 grain 308 Accu bonds and they took care of them pronto!

Nosler will make it right with you.
Give customer service a call.

JD338

I had some old ones and they shot about the same as those with tips.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well, I can tell you that a 200 grain AccuBond, missing the entire tip, fired from my 300 WSM was only about 2 inches from my main group at 200 yards. I expected it to be worse.

I would contact Nosler and let them know the situation. I would be very surprised if they didn't make it right.

I read an article a while back about how little affect the tip of a bullet has on accuracy at reasonable ranges. However, on target performance can be affected by the presence/absence of a polymer tip as the tip is often used more to initiate expansion than it is for ballistic improvement.

That being said, you paid for a bullet with a polymer tip and see no issue with Nosler being anything but helpful.

Btw the ones I had were older and were in a partial box full I picked up from somebody else. I contacted Nosler just out of curiosity and they acknowledged there were issues with some of the earlier production runs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Contacted Nosler and they will send me two boxes of new Nosler 160 AB. Great customer service. Thanks fellas for the advises.

I did and had the same thing happen a few times. Nosler was great about.

I dig that 160 AB... it is about as good as it gets for a 7 Mag.

SJB358":145kr3sa said:
I did and had the same thing happen a few times. Nosler was great about.

I dig that 160 AB... it is about as good as it gets for a 7 Mag.

Funny thing is that I never tried the 160 AB in it, but hope I find a nice tidy load for it soon besides the Berger 168 VLD Hunt that shoots very well around .1 -.2 MOA. Just 50 / 50 decision on whether I should use the VLD for hunting next season due to some complaints about it penciling through. My opinion may be when you look inside the hollow tip of the VLD, make sure its open and not clogged up so it will expand properly. I checked all my bullets and its all open tip. I am sure the 160 AB works very well, I have used the 140 AB out of the 7 Mag and it was like a lightning bolt struck them dead in their tracks.

I know a lot of you all have excellent results with the Bergers. I've got no experience with them at all. I do have a bunch with that 160 AccuBond though. If you do your part it will do its.

Math Teacher":1j39gg6d said:
My friends and I have killed 25 moose and a bunch of deer with the 160 grain AccuBond. Great bullet.

I haven't seen you post before but welcome aboard. That's a slew of animals.

What sorta chamberings do you all use for the 160?

I have had quite the debate with a gentleman on a reloading site in FB. He keeps yapping about Nosler making garbage bullets and he has had this same problem many times (would never show photographs of them). I advised him that he should contact Nosler and they will remedy the problem. He has come back telling everyone that because he is a Canadian they will not ship bullets across the border. I suggested that he contact his supplier here in Canada and he advised that he gets no response :shock:.
This is the first time I have seen this problem and I have shot Nosler ABs for years now.
Has any of our Canadian members had this problem and if so did the Nosler or local dealer make good on the defective bullets?

Blessings,
Dan

Dan,

I had a couple of boxes of ABs that were missing tips when they were first introduced. I didn't complain about it, though one of our members in the States did contact Nosler about the issue, mentioning my name. Nosler, as is true of all US companies, must work through licenced brokers. This regulation is due to the changes imposed by Homeland Security following 9-11. The people at Nosler did send me a hat as a gesture of goodwill, which was fine for me. I could have taken the bullets back to my LGS and they would have exchanged them. However, I used them for fouling shots since they were only a few in number. There has never been a problem exchanging any components that I felt were defective. I take them back to the LGS and they exchange them, dealing with the broker. For the volume I've shot over the years, the incident of problem components is miniscule to non-existent. That is especially true for Nosler bullets.

Back