• 6.5X55

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

TScottW99

Handloader
Sep 14, 2007
O.K. guys. I am wanting another barrel to hunt with for the Encore. The caliber will be .264/6.5. I just need help trying to figure out a cartridge :lol: I know I want it to be a 15" barrel and I'm wanting to shoot a bullet in the 120 to 130 grain range. Figure that will help with the loss in velocity from the shorter barrel.

6.5grendel, 6.5X47lapua, 6.5creedmore, .260remington, 6.5X284, etc.. .etc..? I have about given up on the grendel since the Encore can handle so much more. However, how much is too much? Do I really need a 6.5X284 if a 6.5X47 can handle the 120 grain BT with less powder and recoil? Would the mid-range cartridges be better suited?

I have never used a pistol in a rifle caliber so any and all help would be appreciated. Thanks!! :grin:

6.5x284 - quality brass and dies are readily available and accuracy is exceptional in a match grade firearm. Although, I would prefer heavier bullets.

TSCOTT, I have a 15 inch factory barrel in .260 rem that shoots very tight groups of 120 bt's and 125 partitions using near max loads of reloader 19 . I've killed coyotes, pigs and deer with this load and never recovered any bullets. I like this cartridge, its a good one , very comfortabl to shoot.

POP":195w2d0g said:
Did you decide?

LOL, nope :lol:

I have awhile before I get it. I need to get a chrony first, then save up for the barrel, scope, dies, brass, bullets, etc.. etc.. :lol:

I am thinking 6.5X47lapua or .260rem. Since it is for a pistol I'm leaning towards the 120 - 130 grain bullets from Nosler, proably a BT. Another decision is who to make the barrel. That will be either OTT or Match Grade Machine. Decisons, decisons :wink:

Well... I do believe it will be a .260remington. Will be awhile before I start this project but believe I have it figured out...

-Match Grade Machine stainless steel 15" barrel in .260rem
-Burris silver 2X-7X BilPlex scope
-Nosler custom .260rem brass
-Nosler 120 grain Ballistic Tip bullets
-Georgia Jim furniture for the Encore pistol http://www.olegeorgiajim.com/

Now to start saving up pennies :lol:

Sounds like a fun project. The 260 Rem is a keeper. :wink:
Ol Georgia Jim wood is very nice, that what I have on my Contender.
JD6-2.jpg

JD338

Just ordered a .260 Rem. barrel from Fox Ridge, 17 in. bull barrel. I like all the cartridges based on the .308 case. Have fun.

Back