high-country pre-season scouting

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
My son and I did a little pre-season scouting, along with generally having a good time backpacking in Washington's Cascades for 5 days earlier this week. Found more marmots than I've ever come across, as well as sign of mule deer, mountain goat (no tag, phooey) elk and black bear. Trout fishing was pretty good too w/the fly rod. I guess it's not surprising that an area which took us two days to walk to, has a good population of game & fish... Go figure. Thought you guys might enjoy some photos taken in the high country.

426098.jpg

426099.jpg

426101.jpg

426102.jpg

426103.jpg

Up in these high open places, a lightweight flat shooting rifle like my .25-06 would be my choice. Walking out we went through miles of heavily forested river-bottom land, where a 100 yard shot would be uncommonly long, and I'd prefer the .45-70 for that. Back in this far, a horse or mule to pack out the kill would be a huge help. It's designated wilderness area, so no vehicles are allowed. Stock is okay though.

Regards, Guy

Cool pics Guy! Where was the general location of that area?? I should get my behind up in the cascades and start looking for me a bear to shoot. Season opened almost 2 weeks ago. I would bring either my 25-06 or 270 for that kinda terrain, more en likely my 25 would go though. That country looks like it would hold some very very nice muleys. Just need to find there bedding spot. I think they like it high because they can see. I have been up in the wallowa mountains and theres humongous bucks that are up around the same level of the sheep and gaats. I was looking through a spotting scope over 1000 yards away at a bedded buck that was non typical pushing probly 35" wide. The bad thing is, the bucks are so smart that they dont let you get any closer then about 1000 yards. THis was also a spot that took a days ride on horses to get to.

Guy,

Beautiful country! Thanks for sharing the pics.
Horse or mules are the way to go.
Best of luck this season.

JD338

Back