High performance Clothing?

Guy Miner":ihdvwzfy said:
I've found it hard to beat a good three-layer system:

Merino wool or newer high-performance long johns - something that wicks away sweat and keeps me dry.

An insulating layer - I really like fleece as it's lightweight, flexible, dries fast and insulates even when wet. Wool of course is the old standby and I've got some of that that I still use.

And then a shell garment. Something to at least cut the wind, and better yet, shed water. Last few years I've been using some pretty good stuff from Cabelas. It's soft enough that I can move in it without spooking every critter in a hundred yards. Still have an early government-issue style gore-tex parka that I bought for a USMC trip to a part of Norway up above the Arctic Circle in the 1990's. It's worked real well, but is noisy to move in, so I don't usually wear it while hunting.

Three layer system that works well in cold & wet. Also - don't be afraid to remove and add layers as necessary. I generate a lot of body heat while climbing these danged ridges and rarely wear the insulating layer while climbing - it just cooks me - even in cold temps. But I'll quickly put it on once I pause to sit and glass for a while.

Guy
Guy, What is the trade name for the outer shell garment you get from Cabela's?

...nothing beats merino wool for a base layer. Wool retains heat even when wet. Synthetics require body heat to move moisture, their wicking properties are mechanical not chemical...

...one of the best investments is a windproof Balaklava or neck gaiter, since your neck is like a large radiator it allows you to regulate your core temp a lot easier...

wildgene":1vrfepb0 said:
...nothing beats merino wool for a base layer. Wool retains heat even when wet. Synthetics require body heat to move moisture, their wicking properties are mechanical not chemical...

...one of the best investments is a windproof Balaklava or neck gaiter, since your neck is like a large radiator it allows you to regulate your core temp a lot easier...

all good points Gene

truck driver, LOL---actually, probably yes, but we use them for one thing or another

Cheyenne, Thanks anyway, I guess I'll have to shear a few sheep and break out the spinning wheel. :grin:

wildgene":hcjwzb2f said:

I'm with Gene -- merino wool base layer and a neck gaiter. I've ditched any synthetics and UnderArmor base layers -- they don't work nearly as well for me, and aren't as comfortable. My typical winter outfit when outdoors in the cold are the "Smartwool" brand merino wool tops and bottoms, and a thin, stretchy neck gaiter. (I pretty much look the same whether I'm afoot hunting, on horseback chasing cows, or snow-skiing. About the only thing that changes is my headgear, and occasionally chaps.)

Been looking at the different suppliers for merino wool base layers and it is very pricey compared to other stuff that's available. I also see where there is wool blend that is available for less. Also most of the stuff in my size is hard to find since I'm tall and 295lb so the standard 2X won't fit and need 3X to have room in it.

truck driver":tq7mght0 said:
Guy Miner":tq7mght0 said:
I've found it hard to beat a good three-layer system:

Three layer system that works well in cold & wet. Also - don't be afraid to remove and add layers as necessary. I generate a lot of body heat while climbing these danged ridges and rarely wear the insulating layer while climbing - it just cooks me - even in cold temps. But I'll quickly put it on once I pause to sit and glass for a while.

Guy
Guy, What is the trade name for the outer shell garment you get from Cabela's?

http://www.cabelas.com/product/clothing ... _104020380

MT050 is what I use, trousers & parka. Not saying it's the best, but it has worked well for a number of years now. I bought another set for my youngest son. We stay dry.

Guy

Cheyenne - I looked around all over the house and did not find a single caribou hide... Odd... :grin:

Guy

Guy Miner":2fu2dvuj said:
Cheyenne - I looked around all over the house and did not find a single caribou hide... Odd... :grin:

Guy

No doubt they've been misplaced. Time to call Clark to do a trace. :mrgreen:

DrMike":1jxkh6rj said:
Guy Miner":1jxkh6rj said:

Guy

No doubt they've been misplaced. Time to call Clark to do a trace. :mrgreen:
Clark probably has them all rounded up and stashed for a cold winters night. :lol:

I use the MT050 too , I really like it . it's quiet and doesn't seem to gather burrs and stuff . I have the 7 in 1 coat and the bib pants that I use when it's extreamly cold . I also have the MT050 packable rain gear . I used this rain gear on a hunting trip during Hurricane Sandy , I stayed dry . I still use the dark blue damart brand top that Dad bought me in the mid to late 1970's . the elastic went bad in the bottoms , so I no longer use them . Damart was way ahead of it's time .

sorry , I have no experience using caribou hide outer layers . does Cabelas sell these ? ha ha

my reply to

Guy, Dr Mike, Rodger, Jim --my rebuttal

Making clothing from Caribou hides serve THREE purposes. They make the best extreme cold weather parkas, they are cheap, since the cost of each hide is the cost of one bullet and some powder. The third purpose is that women of the north are just like the women of the south, east, and west. Even if our man is young and wants to make love to us every day, we will still have 23 hours and 55 minutes available to us each day for other things, like sewing.

Blkram had the perfect trim for a caribou parka and he wasted it by stuffing the dead animal with sawdust.

yukon huntress":2pq04djo said:
my reply to

Making clothing from Caribou hides serve THREE purposes. They make the best extreme cold weather parkas, they are cheap, since the cost of each hide is the cost of one bullet and some powder. The third purpose is that women of the north are just like the women of the south, east, and west. Even if our man is young and wants to make love to us every day, we will still have 23 hours and 55 minutes available to us each day for other things, like sewing.

Blkram had the perfect trim for a caribou parka and he wasted it by stuffing the dead animal with sawdust.

Man, that caribou parka sounds cool Cheyenne, wonder if coyote, bobcat or fisher would make nice trim?

yukon huntress":2futvzge said:
my reply to

geez girl , if you only have that much time left of the day , you better hang on to him .

Yeah, but chewing the hides wears my wife's teeth. :lol: Oh, and Gil hasn't mounted any caribou just yet. Mountain goat, elk, deer--but no caribou. His wife won't prepare the hides like she is supposed to do. And my wife doesn't have near as much time as you suggest--there's cooking, cleaning the drive, cooking, laundry, cooking, cleaning the house, cooking and earning a living to allow me to live in the manner to which I still want to become accustomed. Did I mention she still needs to cook? :mrgreen:

For those of you who don't know, I'm yanking Cheyenne's chain (and vice versa).

Jim
Dr Mike

Well played !

Scotty, don't know about coyotes, but most of ours have wolf trim, which serves a cold weather purpose of its own and we have plenty of wolfs available to us. Gil's Lynx would make beautiful trim, on a parka, as well.

Time to work with the dogs, catch up to you fellows later

yukon huntress":1fs80g3i said:
Jim
Dr Mike

Well played !

Scotty, don't know about coyotes, but most of ours have wolf trim, which serves a cold weather purpose of its own and we have plenty of wolfs available to us. Gil's Lynx would make beautiful trim, on a parka, as well.

Time to work with the dogs, catch up to you fellows later

Yeah, and Gil is stuffing the lynx! Can you believe> His last wolf was stolen at the taxidermist. Go figure. For those who don't know, wolf pelts are among the warmest and softest furs you can find. Superb trim!

Back