Hornady 145 gr 277 ELD-X

Imagine a high bc with re26 in the 270 win..... here's a post from over at the campfire....

150 gr RL26 load? [Re: RinB]
Mule Deer Online content
Campfire Oracle

Loc: Banana Belt, Montana
Rick,

In my rifle, Alliant's RL-26 data for the 150 Partition is very close to what occurs--except my M70 Featherweight has a 22" barrel, and Alliant's test barrel is 24". I'm using 60.5 grains (.3 grain under Alliant's listed max of 60.8) for around 3025 fps. Traditional indications of excess pressure are zero in older "blue bag" Winchester brass.

In fact I worked up to 62.0 grains and there still wasn't the slightest pressure sign. Velocity with 62 was right around 3100. This is from a barrel that starts to show indications of high pressure as velocities approach 2950 fps with 150's using any other powder, including H4831, IMR7828, Magpro, RL-22 and 25, Norma MRP or Ramshot Magnum and Hunter.

Please note, however, that I am NOT advocating RL-26 as the greatest .270 powder ever. Might if it proves anywhere near as cold-resistant as H4831, but it hasn't yet gotten cold enough here (down around zero) for meaningful cold testing.

Instead I'm just reporting what happened in my rifle. I'd noticed Alliant's data for 26, and then several other people reported similar velocities in their rifles. Readers started asking me about 26, so as soon as I found some (which at the time wasn't easy) I bought a couple pounds, eventually working up to 62.0 grains just to see where my rifle might start showing traditional pressure signs. Then I reported the results here--but that's all I'm doing, reporting.

Will be reporting on RL-26 results in other rounds as opportunity arises--which won't be very soon. Had to buy another couple pounds of powder, which is still in the hands of Mark Dobrenski, who located some during a road trip. Both Mark and I are pretty busy hunting right now, and even after hunting season winds down I have a bunch of other stuff ahead of any more 26-testing on my work schedule.

gerry":1m9lleew said:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esUC0M6H-l4

They say 145 gr was the heaviest they could go in the standard 1 in 10 twist rate of the 270 caliber rifles out there. I decided I'm going to give them a try this year.

Have you ever seen 150 grain Interbonds? They show a great BC and if I could ever get them I'd give them a shot in my WSM. I'd have loved a 150 AccuBond (regular).

I'd bet that IB would hold a great frontal area and 26 is VERY good in my WSM with 150's.

I haven't seen any 150 gr Interbond's yet around here but did wonder about them, they seem like potentially a great bullet with good b.c. and look to be pretty tough. I would like a 150 gr AccuBond as well but will one day try the 150 gr ABLR in this gun just because. Hope to try RL 26 soon too although IMR 7977 is doing pretty good so far.

gerry":1enk5i4o said:
I haven't seen any 150 gr Interbond's yet around here but did wonder about them, they seem like potentially a great bullet with good b.c. and look to be pretty tough. I would like a 150 gr AccuBond as well but will one day try the 150 gr ABLR in this gun just because. Hope to try RL 26 soon too although IMR 7977 is doing pretty good so far.

26 is good. 7977 seems great as well. Almost tough to pick good ones some days as there are so many great powders these days.

Your 9 twist might be the ticket with the ABLRs.

Gerry,
I plan on working up a load for my Vanguard S2 270 win. Will be trying Norma MRP and Imr 7828 SSC. 3100 looks easy with both powders, but 7828 would be MAX for that velocity. I thought about RE26, but I have a 8lb can of Norma MRP and QL doesn't show much difference than MRP. I have always struggled getting BT bullets to shoot well for me, but I really like the looks of the ELDX on paper. Definitely put the Ol 270 in the mix with the 6.5's, like it wasn't already.. :lol: I will post info and results as I go..
Take care
Ed

I'll watch for your posts Ed to see how it works out for you. MRP is one of the top powders out there for a lot of different rounds 270 Win included. IMR 7828 is another good one, had decent results in my gun, really does well in the 260 Rem too by the way.. Part of the reason I went with the faster 1 in 9 twist was to try the sleeker 277 bullets but most of them are just fine in a 1 in 10 twist by the sounds of it. When we have a bit of surplus cash I plan on adding both the 145 gr ELD-X and RL 26 to what I have now.

Back