HOT group of wildcats!

Interesting cartridges for sure!

I know from experience with the 7MM STW that a 160 gr AB at 3222 fps sureworks effectively on big game from 15 to 475 yards out of a hunting rifle that will put theminto 1" groups at 300 yards, when I do my part.

Either the 6.5 140 gr or .338 225 gr AB's pushed at the same speeds would also strike like lightning, with the power of Thor's hammer! (oh, very similar to the 26 and 33 Nosler or the Weatherby's!)

And accuracy down into .1".... what's not to get excited about!
That is definitely better than most custom and semi-custom rifles built for hunting; more like benchrest rifle accuracy. What is the average weight of PRC rifles?

I think that I will stick with the rifles I have; they have a lot of memories of past adventures afield with friends and family. As much fun as new rifles are and can be, those memories cannot be replaced; and that makes them priceless!

After continuing to work on load development for my 338 Sherman Short, I finally honed in on a great hunting load. This is a 5 shot group using Varget 215 primer and 250gr Berger Elite. MV 2860’ This lil short action magnum is overwhelming impressive! 502411EC-FED5-4CB0-A55C-F471473DF9A7.jpeg

Well, there's nothing wrong with that load or the rifle. Obviously, in your hands it will prove to be a great combination.

Now that is an impressive group!

Love to hear about its perferomance on game down the road.

Have fun with that!

So this guy gets 338 RUM performance from a 270 win case at sane pressures?

I post on the LRH site and Rick Sherman has pretty good following with his wildcats. I've had few wildcats build in my younger days and Ackley had his. Other was Rocky Gibbs and he build his using 30-06 case.

Always been big deal LRH site about 280 Sherman and 280AI. I just copied Rick comment about AI,Gibbs and Sherman.

I like to be as honest as I can with people and not try to blow a bunch of smoke. In the '06 sixed cases, there is less to be gained with the 280 Sherman over a 280 A.I. than with most of the Sherman cases. The reason is simple! The 280 Rem case is longer and has more capacity than other 'o6 sized cases to begin with, and when you improve it with the A.I. version, there isn't as much left to improve upon. Does this mean that it isn't worth it? In my opinion, no! If you can gain 2.6 grains capacity with no down side; why not? It is only slightly more difficult to form than the A.I. and you can gain about 50'. In the case of a 6.5-06 or a 30-06 A.I. vs a Sherman, you are gaining considerably more because of the much greater opportunity for case capacity by using a 270 or 280 parent. If 50' means nothing to you, then by all means build an A.I. which is a fine cartridge! My feeling about building a 280 Sherman is "if you're going to be a bear, you might as well be a grizzly"! My opinion is that the Sherman is a perfect balance between the Gibbs and the A.I. The Gibbs was always the velocity champ but did so at the expense of a poor case design (extremely short neck)! The A.I. was a good design, but left some velocity on the table. The Sherman case is the ballistic equal to the Gibbs, and has the case design attributes of the A.I. In answer to the question of real world; just add approx. 50' to whatever your 280 A.I. gets. Sometimes, by just adding 2 or 3 grains capacity, it puts you in an area where you can use one step up in a slower powder. This often means more of a gain than just having the capacity. The introduction of RL33 is a good example. Hope this helps..........Rich

SHERMAN WILDCATS "MORE PAIN PER GRAIN"[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Facebook rich sherman

If you take 280AI case move shoulder forward and at start of shoulder make that .460 and you be pretty close to the Sherman. I had 30-06AI build using the 280AI case and some have build 6.5x280AI.

Just for clarification, the 338Sherman Short is the Wildcat I built and it’s based on the SAUM parent case. Rich basically has two lines of wildcats. One is based on the 270 win and the other on the SAUM.

Back