How do you tell an F.N from other mauser bolt rifles.

super-7

Handloader
Jun 27, 2009
My buddy is looking at buying a used rifle from a guy at his work, so he brought it out to my place on the weekend. The guy told him it was a remington and is registerd as such, but I took one look and new it was no rem. There is a serial # but no other I.D. markings except a crown on the reciever, it looks very similar to my old mans F.N except my dads has the mauser action with 3 pos wing safety. This had a mauser action but with a thumb safety on the r.h rear receiver. It is a7mm rem mag and it shot well, borascoped the throat and rifleing looked ok. the stock also had a brass thru bolt either in front of or thru the recoil lug. The only other thing stamped was the Leupold scope base it said F.N , but I don't know if that's just co-winky dink. sorry I didn"t get any photo's.

Remington is stamping their brand on what was the imported Charles Daley mausers calling them model 798 or 799 depending if it is long or short action these days. All the ones I have seen have a plain jane looking laminated stock with a cheap thumb safety. Without seein a picture it is possible that it could be another commercial mauser which were made by FN in Herstal Belgium, the same manufacturer of the JC Higgins model 50. It could also be an Interarms rifle imported to Alaxendria, VA. If it is an FN, Higgins, or Interarms, there should definitely be markings on the barrel and top of receiver. My FN (FNH) has a two position military style safety on the bolt's cocking piece much like a mauser 98. My buddy's interarms has a thumb safety on the right side of the bolt/stock above the trigger housing. If the receiver does not have a cut out for a stripper clip, it is definitely a commercial mauser of some kind. Hope this helps you out some in determing what you have.

Is this the rifle? http://www.remington.com/products/firea ... el_798.asp

Remington is now the importer for what was the old InterArms Mark X M98 clones. They are made in Yugoslavia and were banned by embargo for a while during the Balken war. Charlas Daley started importing them after the embargo was lifted but Remington out bid them, raised the price, and took over importing and added their name to them.

yea that looks very close to it, same safety for sure, the stock is a little different. There is no brass thru bolt on the798 in the picture, but this rifle is proably 10 yrs opld or more, so it may have changed. $300 canadian is probably reasonable, no scope.

The markings in the metal should tell you who made it. You might have to pull the barreled action out of the stock to see them all. Also a gun proof handbook is handy.

jim

Ya thats what we're thinking of doing, but after he buys it. we didn't want to mess with it until it's actually his. The thru bolt on the stock still has me a bit puzzled, once the guy he's buying it from gets back from holidays and they make a deal I'll take it down,and have a look see.

The through bolt could have been added. My Mark X was a barreled action to start. Interarms sold them both as a bbl`ed action and a stocked rifle at that time, the early 1990s. If it was stocked by some smith he might have added the bolt to prevent a crack behind the recoil lug if the wood was thin.
Remington today stocks the M798 rifles they sell. They come to them from what I`ve heard as barreled actions.

Back