How important is an AO to you?

FOTIS

Range Officer
Staff member
Oct 30, 2004
Theoretical question.
You have a 300 RUM sporter and you scope it with a VX3 4.5x14x40 B&C reticule. The scope does not have an AO.
Would this really hinder your hunting?
Would this be acceptable to you and why?

I have owned several VXIII 4.5 -14 Leupold's. Some of 40 mm and some of 50mm.
Every one of them had the AO.

Aside from messing around with it, did I really use it? Did I use it hunting and really have a need for it?

No and No. I was never in a situation where I couldn't take a shot until I turned the objective. Matter of fact unless we are talking about shooting tacks at insane yardages, I can't ever see a situation where you have to spin the front lens to get a kill shot.

So for me...hunting....the AO was used as much as never.

I had the same scope, I bought from you Fotis, just couldn't get it to work out once I started shooting further on 14X. It is a good scope and if you never push past 12X you would never notice, but around 14 power, it was too blurry for me. I would rather have the LR version..

To be honest with you I never had a problem on 14 power at longer ranges. The only issue I ever had was focusing at 14 at shorter rangers

I do know that even though many of my scopes have this feature I usually set it at 200-300 yards and never mess with it in the field.

I mean this is all about parallax no?

It's all about parallax, Fotis, for sure. I generally keep mine set on something between 100 and 300yds, as well, though I have been known to "tune" it while at the range, and once in a while in the field if I have time and inclination. In reality, I think it's just another gizmo we all think we need. But, then again, I'd rather have the option, as well. I know with my 4.5-14x44 Conquest I can definitely tell a difference when using the side-focus to adjust out the parallax at the range. So I think, should the need arise, I'd like to have the ability to adjust it on higher powered glass.

I sorta have two of that same scope. I say sorta, because one of them is just a plain Duplex. I'm not going to be trading them anytime soon, but I don't think I'll be buying any more without AO or side focus. I'd love to have a couple of Minox 3-15x42 scopes, but I've decided I'm not going to buy anything over about 10x-12x without some means of adjusting out parallax (and I don't like 50mm objectives).

Maybe I should stop reading internet forums (yeah, like that'll happen) as I was fine without AO before I got edjumacated in optics.

I use a VX III 4.5-14 Duplex without the AO feature on my open country deer/elk rifle (.300WM). Several other rifles that I use have AO, but unless I am target/varmit shooting I end up setting them at 200 and leaving them alone. I get too excited to remember to fool with the AO when there is an elk in front of me.

dubyam":247t0n43 said:
It's all about parallax, Fotis, for sure. I generally keep mine set on something between 100 and 300yds, as well, though I have been known to "tune" it while at the range, and once in a while in the field if I have time and inclination. In reality, I think it's just another gizmo we all think we need. But, then again, I'd rather have the option, as well. I know with my 4.5-14x44 Conquest I can definitely tell a difference when using the side-focus to adjust out the parallax at the range. So I think, should the need arise, I'd like to have the ability to adjust it on higher powered glass.

Dubyam, what do you have the 4.5x14 on? Just wondering as it is a player for my next rifle.

BK":1zs9qxet said:
Maybe I should stop reading internet forums (yeah, like that'll happen) as I was fine without AO before I got edjumacated in optics.

Ditto!

SJB358":2yh5o96h said:
Dubyam, what do you have the 4.5x14 on? Just wondering as it is a player for my next rifle.

Scotty, that Conquest (my only Conquest...for now) is sitting on my Mark V Stainless in 300Wby. I can't think of a better match of chambering and scope than the 300'bee and a 4.5-14x44 Conquest. It mounts easily in medium rings. I could mount a 50mm Conquest in mediums, I believe - but not a 50mm Minox because it's mounting length is shorter overall and the objective bell will contact the barrel. The Conquest offers plenty of field of view on 4.5x to give me a good chance to see, and can really bring things in close and clear on 14x. I've noticed that on 14x you really need to have the side focus dialed in for the absolute best picture, but it's not as sensitive at 12x. The whole thing is gin-clear, as you'd expect, and tracks well and has yet to lose zero, in four or five years of rattling around going to and from the range and the woods. Overall, it's a great scope and if I had it to do over again, I wouldn't change anything about the rifle or scope, except that I'm eventually going to put a medalist stock on it in place of the tupperware.

I'm going to get that Minox 4-20x50 mounted on my 270'bee in the next few weeks, and once I do, I'm going to do a comparison between the two just for kicks. I hope I don't end up crying in my beer over the results. I don't think I will, but I did pay about 1.5x for the Conquest what I paid for the Minox. Both were a steal, I can assure you (you know the Minox was - and my rebate check showed up this week, too!).

I hope this was helpful. Sorry for the slight hijack, Fotis.

Great report. Both of them are pretty big players for the 264 right now. Not sure what to do for the 300 just yet, but the Minox or Zeiss have a good chance of making their way on the 264.. Thanks for the heads up Dubyam..

Fotis,

I think it would depend on the application the scope will be used for up close or long range hunting. Having a versatile scope to match the round makes the most sense to me so I would want a side focuse on the scope. Parallax is factory set at 150 yds.

JD338

Interesting question, Fotis. I don't own a single scope that has AO. I guess I don't do enough LRH. The longest shot in the field I've ever made was ~320 yards; the average shot is perhaps 70 yards.

So after a lot of thought and research I bought this at a great price.

I will try it on my Sako TRG's 30-378.
Reviews have been great to say the least!
The power range is the best in the business. I mean 2.5-16 power? Pretty good.
Theoretically speaking from close range dangerous game to antelope at way out there.

pix500290355.jpg

pix598667806.jpg

pix746805210.jpg

pix514033962.jpg

Turrets are lift, turn, return to zero, and lock. Love that configuration the best!

Attachments

• downloadn.jpg
    629.1 KB · Views: 916
  • download.jpg
    619.2 KB · Views: 916
FOTIS":3bmc7kot said:
So after a lot of thought and research I bought this at a great price.

I will try it on my Sako TRG's 30-378.
Reviews have been great to say the least!
The power range is the best in the business. I mean 2.5-16 power? Pretty good.
Theoretically speaking from close range dangerous game to antelope at way out there.

Nice glass! I'm very interested in your review.

Did you get this from the Sample List?

New in box..... if that is what you mean.

SWFA.com has a list of trade ins, demos and the like, under the website samplelist.com

I have a B&L Elite 4000 2.5-10 on my .300 WinMag, and an Elite 3000 on my Fireball. I'm curious what you think of that one. The 4000 is good enough, I guess, but the 3000 and I don't get along very well. Looking forward to the 6500 review. Resettable turrets and MIL-Dots, nice!

I do not have AO's on any of my scopes that are used for "normal" hunting. I do have them on two 6.5 -20 Leupolds on varmint rigs and a 4.5 - 14 LR on my 264WSM. I like having the parallax adjustment for p-dogs and other varmints at long distance with higher magnification settings. I think it all depends on the application.

Back