How important is an AO to you?

That looks like a nice scope Fotis. Anyway you can give us some comparison's to your other scopes you have out there. If the glass is nice, that scope has alot going for it.

After looking at the specs on the scopes, it looks pretty impressive Fotis. Plus, I do get a pro discount for Bushnell optics, so that could be a player. Again, pretty excited to see what you think of it.

I had a Remington 700 in 30-06 for maybe 20 years and shot coyotes, antelope, whitetails and mulies and elk with it. Only a fixed 4x Redfield. From a bench my 180 gr handloads would make it to under 3" at 300 yards and kills to 400+ on big game.

Things have changed a lot since then (not necessarily for the better). Now I don't own a fixed power scope (except on pistols). Today it just seems like everything is about the shot and not the hunt.

Guess I am just getting "long in the tooth".

Ridgewalker, it's still about the hunt for most of us. The difference is that we get far leads time to hunt, so we obsess over the fine details to be sure we maximize our opportunities in the field. At least that's my take. Heck, one of my favorite things is to lay out in the tall grass right after an early lunch and catch a 30min power nap in the sun! There's no shot involved in that, at all!

ridgewalker":88cpg9ky said:
I had a Remington 700 in 30-06 for maybe 20 years and shot coyotes, antelope, whitetails and mulies and elk with it. Only a fixed 4x Redfield. From a bench my 180 gr handloads would make it to under 3" at 300 yards and kills to 400+ on big game.

Things have changed a lot since then (not necessarily for the better). Now I don't own a fixed power scope (except on pistols). Today it just seems like everything is about the shot and not the hunt.

Guess I am just getting "long in the tooth".

I am still there with you buddy, but being as time is limited and game isn't getting any thicker, I wanna try to put as much of the odds on my side as I can. I would hunt happily with a 30-06 and a good 4x scope. It's not a limiter in my eyes one bit..

My AO's are on target/varmmit rifles, a 22-hornet VXII 3-9x33mm EFR, a 221 REM VXII 4-12x40mm AO , and a 223 REM VX3 4.5-14x40mm LR.

I realy love the VX3 LR and if it was on a big game rig it would be set a 8X with medium paralex/focus setting. If I had time to fine tune it for a shot I would. You realy only need to change the focus at its lowest power for really close or at 14x for close up and out to 300 yards. I would say for 6-12x you would not need to focus it if the parallex is at mid-point.

The VXII 4-12 is fine but you can tell the differance the better VX3 is what you want.

I have AO on all of my scopes, except the leupold on my 22. Love that feature. Where I am living the shots across stubble fields can be long and I have the time to set up on the bipod, clear the image and wait for a perfect presentation. Wouldn't be without it.

Back