How many times do you reload your brass?

pronghorn

Beginner
Dec 8, 2009
I am helping my son work up a load for his new Weatherby Vanguard S2 in 7’08 Remington. We have settled on a very nice load, and today I loaded up ammo for Whitetail opening day next Saturday. Now a question: how many times can you safely reload brass? This makes the fourth time for this batch. Would you consider four times safe, or too many? Since these are for my son, I don’t want to take any chances. I know there are lots of variables in play, and I would value your thoughts on this. Thanks

Depends on a lot of things. Do you full length size or neck size? Do you anneal? How hot is the load? How did the primers feel when you seated them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With a7-08 I would think 5-6 would be reasonable with reasonable loads. If you get loose primers toss them.

It depends on quite a few factors.
Brass type, cartridge, what were the previous loads like, etc.
I have brass I’ve loaded 10-12 times. I have some (that I don’t buy anymore)that was toast after 3, albeit warmish loadings.
I base it on primer pockets, any noticeable issues (that gets pitched) ability to hold uniform neck tension and concentricity. Also annealing is huge.
I’m sure I’m missing some stuff but barring any of the above, four loadings wouldn’t worry me too much if you have a good load.
I will say I tend to use once or twice fired for my hunting loads, primarily once fired. But that may just be me. :grin:

As has already been stated, brass can be loaded quite a few times. I have some that is on the tenth loading. However, these are exceptional. The loads were all relatively mild so that the brass was not pressured up. As a rule of thumb, and to avoid any unexpected surprises, I only use brass that has been loaded no more than twice for hunting loads. All the other brass will be reserved for working up the loads.

I’m a little more lenient on my brass, I minimally FL or neck size my brass and anneal often. I won’t toss a case until it won’t hold a primer. I don’t seem to have a problem with failed cases these days and I don’t take it easy on my guns. I run them all near the top end of what their supposed to do.

To answer your question, we’d really have know how you resize your brass and how hard you’re pushing them. Chances are if you’re running book loads you’re not hammering them and I’d be fine to keep using them as long as accuracy is staying where it’s supposed to be and the cases are visually inspected prior to each loading.

Repeating what has already been said, but depends on a lot of things, most of which I think has already been stated.

Also it depends on how willing you are to carefully inspect brass. If a casual glance to just make sure nothing major is standing out is the norm, then 3-4 loadings with decent brass and below max pressure loads might be in order for most reloaders.

If you minimally size, anneal, and are willing to carefully inspect necks, shoulders, and check for thinning, all under good light, and toss inferior brass as it shows up, the remaining brass can often go a LONG ways till it's no longer reliable.

Here’s what I’ve done so far.
1st load: FL sized, deburred flash hole, trimmed cases/chamfered
2nd load: Neck sized
3rd load: Neck sized
Present load: Pushed case shoulder back .003” with body die, neck sized

Load data: RP brass, CCI 200 primers, 44.5 gr Varget, Nosler 120 Btips, 3035 fps Oehler 35P, SD 12, firm primer pockets, normal fired primers, no signs of pressure

Seeing all that, I think you’re A-Ok! Load on and commence filling the backpacks with animal parts!

Given all the variables stated above, continue to reload the same cases until the first sign to consider otherwise. It's not unusual for me to reload cases 7-10 times. Load too hot and you could easily reduce that to 2-3 times which should be a wake-up call to reduce loads or double check other reloading issues..

I'd think you're well in reasonably safe territory with that kind of load and conditions you noted.

I can usually squeeze at least 5 out of 300WSM cases and .308s and 6.5s last a bit longer than that.

I wouldn't worry at 4 loadings with those sorts of pressures.

I agree with the other guys , 4 cycles wouldn't worry me . by sizing the way you are , and this is a mild load your using . you should have no problems using this brass for a few more cycles .

my one 7mm-08 I'm shooting 140 gr bullets at 3080 FPS and get 8 reloads out of my brass before I start to loosen the primer pockets .
I'm taking a different 7mm-08 deer hunting next week . I've lost track of how many reloads are on that batch of brass . I'll put them in the plenty category . from what I've seen , brass life on the 7mm-08's is fairly long .

There are a lot of variables but I'm 5-10 loadings before I have neck splitting or loose primer pockets.

JD338

The amount of loads you get out of brass is probebly also dependant on case brand as composition differs. I read an article a while back that had a comparative chart where the top performer (most loads) was Norma with over 20 loads and a close second being Lapua.
I anneal after every shot and that have served me well.
With the .270 I could only get 4 loads out of PMP (local brand) cases before "donuts" became a real issue causing run-out and affecting group sizes, while I'm on 5 loads with Norma's and no issues at all. On the 338 I'm also at the 5 load mark with no issues at all .... but I always load mild loads on all my calibres

Ps. I neck size and bump shoulders back 2 thou every time as it works the brass least while being consistent

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

I would load brass 100 times if the primer pockets were tight, minimally sized every time, annealed often.

In reality I don’t think I’ve seen brass loaded more than 10 or 15 firings before I have some reason to toss it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back