How much to buy ?

1100 Remington Man

Handloader
May 1, 2007
Just recived my once a year component buy from where I'm a Ike's Club where I shoot trap.
Wow have Powder prices dropped 15-20% Primers as well. The only thing I saw priced more was Shotgun shell Wads. Lead Shot up around 7%.
We can not buy Bullets, I guess there are to many choices.
I hope you Guy's are seeing the same thing.

I like to stock up when I see a sale on something I use in quantity.

Go for it!

Winchester Primers under $25 a 1000 or Reloader 22 or 26 for $130.37 and then Alliant has a Powder Rebate of $2 a pound till for up to 10 pounds or $20.
So I can get a Reloader 22 or 26 for $114.37 for 8 pounds that's is crazy good.
I'm glad to see prices coming back down from the Powder shortage.

How much to buy?

5 years (or more) worth of components is a good start (which will obviously depend on you).

More in calibers you love.

5 years will get you through most scares without having to pay panic prices. Keep the inventory topped off, FIFO, and dip into the stash when (not if) scares come.

Buy bulk components.

Buy it when it's cheap and stack it deep! If it gets cheaper, buy more.

Yep, Greenhead nailed it. The wallet may take a hit on the one time purchase of your pet stuff, but it sure is fun to have what you need, on hand, when supplies get scarce. SPS saw a BIG portion of my paycheck last year......but I'm Golden for many moons to come!

Having 8 pounders of Unique, H4350, and Varget as well as a healthy supply of bullets and primers kept me shooting through the shortage.

A good stock of 22's was useful too.

Nothing wrong with having a good supply of ammo and components.

I bought my first bass boat before I knew how to catch a bass on a big reservoir. So I got myself an older, experienced fishing partner with a reputation for catching good fish. I didn’t really know him at that time but we hit it off immediately. He was my partner, my coach, and soon he was a dear friend. Ok enuff of the mushy stuff. I remember the first time I trailered my boat over to his house to pick him up. He must have had 200 pounds of tackle and 10 rods & reels. He just looked at me and said “Son...if ya’ ain’t got it, ya’ cain’t use it”. Lesson #1 was in the books. My supply is extensive and I never panic.

Another thing I learned is that prices are usually only flexible in the upward direction. It was nice to see lead shot come down a while back and now it seems primers may have dropped. But I wouldn’t expect that trend to continue very far. I jump on a deal if I see one. For me, inventory is no problem. Most of the components we shooters buy are manufactured periodically only once or twice a year. Get it while you can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back