How to find starting powder charge for unlisted powder?

CamoHunter

Beginner
Nov 11, 2011
I have some Ramshot Hunter that I would like to try with an 180 grain AccuBonds in my 30-06.
Nosler #8 lists the powder info in 200 grain pills but not 180’s.
What is the process to find a safe starting load to test using this combo? In the past I have always just used one of the powders listed in the book so this is a first.
I apologize if this is a dumb question or one that has been asked many times before.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Camo

The 200 gr bullets protude into the case more than the 180's do. So that means the 180's can hold just a tad more powder.
But, the starting load for the 200's would be a good starting point for 180's. It should be well within the safety margin, I would think.
Just work your way up from there, carefully, and keep an eye out for pressure signs on your cases.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

Ramshot lists starting loads on their website.

http://www.ramshot.com/load-data/

For most 180-grain bullets the starting load with Hunter is about 51-54 grains.

I have shot up to 60 grains of Hunter with 180s with no problems. I’ve noted some really good accuracy around 58 grains.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks guys, I appreciate the information.
I did look at the Ramshot site before posting the question, but it only listed the 180 BT and E- Tip. I wondered if the BT minimum loads would work for AB’s since these bullets are “somewhat” similar (polymer tip boat tails) and can shoot similar groups interchangeably out of the same rifle.
Camo

Mainly, a lighter weight bullet will develop to a somewhat larger propellant chargeweight than a heavier bullet.
So, the start weight charge fot the 200gn bullet will easily also accomodate your 180gn bullet.
Cheers.

CamoHunter":18cx6438 said:
I did look at the Ramshot site before posting the question, but it only listed the 180 BT and E- Tip. I wondered if the BT minimum loads would work for AB’s since these bullets are “somewhat” similar (polymer tip boat tails) and can shoot similar groups interchangeably out of the same rifle.
Camo

I have used BT and AB data interchangeably for several years with no issues.

I wouldn’t use E Tip and other bullets interchangeably due to the difference in construction of E Tips. Same with TTSXs, different construction.

Let us know how it works out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CamoHunter":2egympln said:
I have some Ramshot Hunter that I would like to try with an 180 grain AccuBonds in my 30-06.
Nosler #8 lists the powder info in 200 grain pills but not 180’s.
What is the process to find a safe starting load to test using this combo? In the past I have always just used one of the powders listed in the book so this is a first.
I apologize if this is a dumb question or one that has been asked many times before.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Camo

Start with the max 200 gr load and work up.

I was fully aware of that, Dr, Mike had did a bunch for me but I didn't know if CamoHunter was aware of that option.

CamoHunter":1owlxe9k said:
Camo

Even Nosler has their load data listed this way - no difference to them in load data between the Ballistic Tip, AccuBond and even the Partition.

Only with the E-Tip do they make a different recommendation for starting loads, because of the solid construction of that bullet.

I concur BTW, that about 58 grains of Hunter with a 180 gr bullet from the 30-06 should be a pretty danged good load. (y) That's one to work up to from a few grains less.

Regards, Guy

Thanks for all of the feedback. I think I will start low with this powder and bullet combo and see how it goes. I will be sure to post results when I am finished.
Camo

Back