How to properly setup your chronograph...

Ridgerunner665

Handloader
Oct 28, 2008
An article very much worth reading...seems too may folks think chrono's work best in direct sunlight...newsflash...they don't.

http://precisionrifleblog.com/2012/07/2 ... liability/

Myself...I use a cheapo CE ProChrono Digital chrono (~$100)...I've had 3 of them over the last 10 years, shot the first 2...one while getting downrange (800 yards) velocities on a 300 WM, the other I plugged with a 45acp from about 10 feet...both were one shot kills.

Its not rocket surgery to set up a chrono...just some things you need to know and understand, all of which are covered in the linked article.

Me...I make sure the chrono is in the shade on sunny days, I make sure I fire directly across it, I leave the diffusers on all the time, and I make sure to keep a good battery in it....using my cheapo chrono in this way I've never had a single failure to read error or a velocity reading that I didn't trust...optical chrono's do work, they just have their "quirks".

From the article...
You’ll get the best readings with even lighting. Best case scenario is overcast skies, and worst is direct sunlight on the skyscreens.

Remove diffusers in overcast or shaded conditions. The diffusers are only necessary in sunny conditions, and by removing them in other conditions you’ll allow more light into the chronograph. I leave the diffusers on all the time...

On sunny days place the chronograph in the shadow of a building or opaque wall. Ensure the sensors have a clear view of the sky, but the chronograph itself is in the shade. You could alternatively add sun shields to create a shadow (see Advanced Techniques section for more details). The goal is to eliminate direct sunlight on the chronograph, while still ensuring the sensors have a direct view of the sky. However, avoid placing the chronograph in the shade of a tree. The uneven, dappled sunlight that filters through the tree will cause more problems than it will solve.

Avoid low light conditions, such sunrise and sunset. During those times the extreme low angle of the sun can cause additional issues due to reflections.

Clean skyscreens. If you’ve used your chronograph more than a dozen times, there is likely a build-up of dust on the sensors. Use a Q-tip or canned air to clean the lenses, being especially careful not to scratch them.

Ensure chronograph is level

“No mere gadget, the chronograph is one of the most powerful tools imaginable in load development and problem diagnosis. A bullet’s velocity is one of the major contributors to its behavior, and if you don’t know what its velocity is, you may never understand that behavior. But knowing why the bullet behaves as it does, you can take intelligent corrective action that wasn’t available to you before.”
– Dan Hackett, Precision Shooting Magazine

I know for a fact a that a 230 gr Speer Gold Dot is a very effective chronograph slayer. Thanks for the information Ridge.

Well I appreciate the info since I'm a new first time chrony owner and I hope to avoid the misfortune of Lynn, Bruce MC and NWBlacktail. :roll:

Good information, thanks for the link. I shot my Chrony with the 35 Whelen and a 225 AB it was DRT :mrgreen:

Don

Make sure it's oriented correctly, instead of backwards.

ERR for 6 to 8 rounds while you're cursing up a storm trying to figure it out isn't fun.

P

truck driver":2kbukmel said:
Well I appreciate the info since I'm a new first time chrony owner and I hope to avoid the misfortune of Lynn, Bruce MC and NWBlacktail. :roll:
If you use it... You will eventually shoot it... Just get another one and keep on going.

Get a Magneto Speed.
If you shoot that you need more help than the world can provide. :)

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

I hear a lot of testosterone going here, with the high power rigs. My last one went out cleanly with a 60 grain 224 Hornady V-Max. Velocity… unknown.

One important thing to remember, when you look through that scope, and it looks like you clear the chrono by a couple inches easy… the rifle bore will be a couple inches lower. :roll:

here are a few pics of how I set up my chrony . the white tape is at the upper and lower recommended limits . the red tape is the center of this . I also allowed for the scope height . when I'm set up I can look through the rifle scope , on low power , and see the tape on the diffuser legs . by doing this I can tilt , swivel , and level the chrony with the scope reticle . this way I'm true to the rifle bore .

I was shooting my inline through the chrony one day . I never thought about the plastic sabot coming off the bullet . yes it wears a knowledge bump now . I built a plexiglass shield for when I'm shooting saboted bullets .

I have a friend that shot the display of his Chrony with a 44 mag. He sent it back to Chrony with a note that said "Please send me a new chronograph. This one suddenly quit working." They didn't send him one.
BP

BP736":1zvcv313 said:
I have a friend that shot the display of his Chrony with a 44 mag. He sent it back to Chrony with a note that said "Please send me a new chronograph. This one suddenly quit working." They didn't send him one.
BP
LOL!

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

I have 10 gauged one and my current chronograph is getting pretty beat up. Shotgun wad parts, Buffer, Over shot cards all knock the new off. Little duct tape will keep it running. PS: do not shoot one of the rods for the shades. I have one with a perfect spritzer profile bent in it, which I found right by the 100yrd target.

:grin: :lol: :lol: :lol: OMG some of this chrony stories are killing me.. Thanks for the laughs..

Back